Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dry Grinder Wheel

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean

Which Dry Grinder Wheel

I have been shaping, roughing in, whatever my lathe tools using a dry Sear's bench grinder. I have a white wheel on one side. I have no idea what it is. The labels are covered and I am not about to dismount it to read the make---which probably does not matter anyway. It leaves the tools rougher than I like.

Accidently I got a whale of a deal on a Porter Cable 8 inch variable speed grinder. (Some one priced the demo incorrectly.) I wish to replace the coarse wheel with a better FINE wheel.

QUESTION: What 8 inch, dry, wheel would you purchase to make the final lathe tool sharpening?

I am assuming that I will go to the wet, slow speed grinder for the final step. The slow speed is just that, too doggone slow for anything except the final passes.

Thanks for any information you can send my way!

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Delton, Michigan
    never hurts to ask the question twice jim the other thread says the same thing bud
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ABQ NM
    (I got rid of the duplicate thread)

Jim, I'm using the high-priced Oneway wheels on my dry grinder. I've got 80 grit and 120 grit. Ever since I got the Tormek wet grinder, I've not really used the 120 grit wheels at all. I only use the dry grinder on my scrapers and hollowing tool cutters, and I prefer the burr edge the 80 grit produces.

I've been happy with the Oneway wheels, but I know a lot of other turners like Norton wheels, and I believe the prices are more reasonable. I don't know what specific models to recommend, though. In general, the more friable the material in the wheel, the better it sharpens, but the faster the wheel wears out.

If price is no object, the D-Way CBN wheels are reportedly the very best, hands down.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    If price is no object, the D-Way CBN wheels are reportedly the very best, hands down.

I have had the Norton stones and they were good, but I've found the OneWay stones as good and they last longer, YMMV

If you do not have the balancing set up from OneWay I can honestly recommend it, well worth the money.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Goodland, Kansas
    I have the Norton wheels and like them a lot. They do last. I have since gotten the 180 grit wheel from D-way tools. Yea it cost a pretty penny but must say it puts a edge on my tools that is almost or as good as my tormek puts on them. It will probably be the last wheel I will need to put on my grinder. I still use my Norton wheels to shape tools.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Reno, Nv
    I'm in kinda the same boat as Vaughn, but I have a Norton 100g that I haven't used in over a year since getting my Grizzly wet system...basically a Tormek knock off that uses Tormek jigs.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

West Tennessee
    I've tried several but I have three that are all satisfactory in my estimation:

Norton 3X 80 Grit (roughly $50)
    I used it for a long time and could have gotten by with it for ever, but we're never satisfied, are we?

Norton SG 80 Grit (roughly $105)
    I like it a little better but couldn't really explain why.

D-way CBN 180 Grit (about $185)
    Love it! Same reasons Bernie gave. If everything is set right one swipe across a gouge is all that's needed for a fantastic edge. Is it cost justified? Probably not, but I do like it! Don't be fooled by the 180 grit. That sucker will remove some steel. Side note... instructions say use on HSS only... no carbon steel.

Having said all that, I have noticed that the real woodturning and sharpening pros don't really seem to care much about the specifics of the grinding wheel. I've see John Jordan put a fantastic edge on a tool with a generic white wheel (that was a little out of balance) and go back to turning. May have wasted a little steel, but it got the job done.
    Last edited by Chuck Jones; 12-28-2012 at 02:02 AM.

I've converted to the CBN wheels over the past year, and I like them a lot better than the AO wheels that came on the grinder. No dressing, no balancing, no dust, and no risk of blowing up. I've never used a wet sharpener, so I can't compare them to the Tormek/Jet/Grizzly. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the CBN wheels sooner.

sydney australia
    I have Norton wheels grey type 80, 120, 140 running at 1400 rpm, so far so good. As they came with the grinders I didn't feel like changing them over. My next move would toward a CBN wheel on one of my existing grinders although I may have to do a few mods to get it to run true. As to grinders I have 50 year old Millers Falls and a more recent German, name plate has fallen off so I 'm not sure of the make.
    As to color if its white its a fair bet that it Aluminum Oxide and they are a notch or two above the standard grey wheels. I wouldn't dump it just wear it out then change

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    (bump) Hi All, I am still gathering info on what wheels folks prefer. Please join in and add your comments or experiences. Knowing if you turn mostly green or dry would help. I turn dry.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.