Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand sawing and lubrication.....mutton fat

Hand sawing and lubrication.....mutton fat

When i was little i remembered my dad always getting a piece of fat from the sunday roast leg of lamb prior to it being cooked and smearing this fat on his hand saw blade before using it. It prevented it rusting but he told me it also prevented it binding while cutting.

Well i did not think much of it since i wondered how that would ge removed from the wood in modern day woodworking and not affect the finishing process. Kinda like glue i see it filling wood pores etc so how would one remove it.

Well i was searching on the LV site for the Waxilit stuff which it appears they no longer carry (dont know why it was great stuff to use on planes and cast iron tables for rust prevention and supposedly really worked well on smearing on areas where one does not want to glue to stick when doing glue ups. )
    Anyhow came across this stuff its mutton tallow. Well would you believe it had me believing my dad was correct. They say any residue left on the wood does not inhibit stain penetration and finish.

So i was wondering anyone use this stuff and given what is being discussed in the thread on blade cleaning whats the thoughts on trying this in a light application on a table saw blade.
    cheers

I first heard of using Mutton Tallow on the Wood Wright Shop. I've used candle wax to lube tools, and it's never caused me any problems; but, I'm going to order some while L V still has free shipping. Thanks for the information.

Rob, I was aware of the use of it back when but I never gave it much consideration figuring there are better ways. I know, a bit disappointing to hear from a hand tooler but none the less when I think of tallow I think of a greasy mess even though that not really the case.

I use renaissance wax, and find that it lasts a long time and does an excellent job.

That said I'm going to have to add this to my list of things to research and test.

I hope you and Dennis let me know how it works out for y'all!

Lee Valley's web site says that this is no longer supplied. Gonna have to look for another source I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich View Post
    Lee Valley's web site says that this is no longer supplied. Gonna have to look for another source I guess.
    I believe it is still very much available:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43415,43440

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post

I believe it is still very much available:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43415,43440
    Today, my device tells me that it in stock. Thanks Joe, I never would have looked again.

It seems to be available at stores, but I can't order it online.
    Last edited by Dennis Ulrich; 01-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.

tomi have used it for alittle while now and it seems to work just fine and there isnt a messy residue.. i do like the waxlite though.. have used that for years on my machines with great results
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Larry. I was perusing the net to see about rendering tallow and came across this article from Schwartz:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-century-style

And here is a better deal on tallow:
    https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...105df74b758c7c

I'm going to put an order in and run some side-by-sides with renaissance wax

Forget what I said about buying some. I had occasion to visit my local grocery a bit ago. It's a small family chain with old style butcher sections. The head butcher there often puts sale stuff aside for us to cool at the at the FD.

Anyway, he's going to save lamb fat for me for a couple weeks... I'm going to render my own