bead or not?

larry merlau

well i used the same joint as glenn did on his walnut dresser and ran into a dilemma,, i am using GTR sawn cherry for the stiles and rails and when i made the joint that gave me flat sawn on the invisible area.. well flat sawn isnt close to flat sawn cherry.. so i have made a sample to show you designers out thee and need to hear from you folks and dave on where you feel i need to bead and where i can let it go.. as i see it i need it to be on the back side stile as well as the frnt side stile but what about the aprons and the drawers?
dresser pic.jpgbead or no bead 001.jpgbead or no bead 002.jpg

I would do just the stiles. I hide the seam with a chamfer or a roundover.

pegs (5).jpgGH Wall Cabinet 40.jpg

I had never tried it with cherry. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Can you make the piece on the front thinner?

Any way to get rift sawn?

In the third pic it looks like a glue joint just to the left of the bead. I say that as the grain line looks perfectly straight compared to the other grain lines.

What about a miter on the corner?

I just did this on my night stand legs but made sure the quarter sawn pieces that over lapped the other ones where thin enough to not notice.

I just don't see it with a bead detail. I don't think it fits.

Can you make the piece on the front thinner?

Any way to get rift sawn? well alan i do have more wood:) but not time to remake it all over

In the third pic it looks like a glue joint just to the left of the bead. I say that as the grain line looks perfectly straight compared to the other grain lines. alan the grain line is in the grove.

What about a miter on the corner? next time:)

I just did this on my night stand legs but made sure the quarter sawn pieces that over lapped the other ones where thin enough to not notice.

I just don't see it with a bead detail. I don't think it fits.
as for the bead detail, it was my first idea of hiding the grain issue..
not sure i like it either but am tryun to cover up the grain problem..

Just my two cents I think the grain match issue looks better than the bead. Now what does it look like if you where to run say a 45 champher down that edge???:dunno::dunno:

I think it would blend better than a bead. Nothing else on the box has any round that the bead would relate with. The champher would just be another flat surface and more straight lines. And if you pull it right back to the joint the grain change might not be so bad along whit the change in direction of the surface.