TABLE TOP FINISH

Sayer Fancher

I am building a table from an old door. The door is being used as the top and has holes from old square nails and assorted nicks and divits that we would like to keep showing. If I use a high build poly finish will this fill these spots and give me a smooth top that will be easy to clean? My thinking is with a clear poly you will still be able to see these spots through the finish. Is there something else I should use or will the high build poly work? Thanks for any info. Happy New Year to all!

havnt used the high build version of poly but have used normal poly,, if you sand lightly between coats you should be able to get a easy cleaned surface but DONT sand threw the previous layer you will get what is called as witness marks that if you were to use a lacquer base you wouldnt have the trouble but the lacquer is a finish best sprayed rather than brushed..

I haven't used a high build poly on a surface like this - so I'm just extrapolating here.

How big/deep are these nail holes and divits? In general, poly isn't something you'll want to pour into a large defect to fill it in. With regular poly, on porous woods like oak I use a pore filler prior to applying the finish or the pores telegraph through the finish. I've heard of folks using an epoxy to fill in large defects under a finish.

In cases like this, a test board is invaluable. Mar it up - add dings, holes, etc like you have on the door. Then try applying your poly straight and see if you are happy with the result. If not, try epoxies or similar techniques until you get something you are happy with. Easier to experiment up front than try and fix it afterwards.

-Matt

Good idea, thanks Matt. I was looking for something to fill the nail holes but remain clear so you can still see them at the same time giving me a smooth even surface that will be easy to keep clean. I will do a light sanding as Larry said in between coats. Thanks.

You would be better using a two part epoxy bar coating. This is meant to go on thick and fill holes and other things. Plus it leaves a very hard finish.