Tpa Woodworking Show-We were there and I can prove it.

Allen Bookout

tpawwshow1.jpg

This photo was taken on the 24th of March, 2007 at the Tampa Woodworking Show in Tampa Florida. On the left is Jay Knoll from Vero Beach, in the middle is yours truly from Punta Gorda and on the right is Tony Falotico from Lake City. Julio Navarro of Tampa was going to try to show up in the afternoon but did not make as far as we know. Tony tried calling him to no avail. We hope that nothing happened except for some sort of tie up.

A couple of things about the guys in the picture. Jay, as you can see, is a lot bigger than you might imagine so try not to tick him off. His good friend who he brought with him is even larger in stature and is a very nice guy to boot. I am sure glad that I was on friendly terms with them. Tony was his normal good looking self but also able to take care of himself. His friend was a delight also. All four guys were just great and made me feel at home right away and made me feel that the drive up there was well worth the effort just to meet them if nothing else. The picture of myself in the middle has some problems. I think that it was a lighting anomaly that created a wrinkled like appearance to my face. Oh well--can't have perfection all of the time.

I think that Tony may have a new tool post soon. I could see the gleam in his eyes.

A short note about the show: Last year I went and it was lousy but this year I thought that it was very good-- A lot of products and demos.

And for the grand finish to the story. I had read so much about Mini Max and was happy to see their booth come into sight. You could see that their tools were quality through and through but that is not the best part of the story. Running the Mini Max booth was our own Sam Blasco of Austin, Texas. I was a little leary as to what to expect as Sam's avitar seems a bit stern but nothing could be further from the truth. He's a terrific guy with a great personality -- A perfect match of personality and quality tools. Here is a photo of Sam and Tony wondering why I do not have my checkbook out.

tpawwshow2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't express how great it was to meet Allen, Jay and Sam in person today. We left the show together for lunch then returned to further investigate some of the great show displays. :D

Allen, No new tool post, I ended up walking away from the Jet purchase -- even though the offer was good, something just didn't feel right. Ira and I debated it all the way home, think I'll just bite the bullet and go with the proven green one.

Julio, We were all disappointed we missed you, hope all is well. I understand that schedules are impossible with kids (we raised three).

It was all around a great day, made some purchases (nothing to gloat over), had a great time meeting Jay, Phil, Allen and Sam, talking with the vender's and seeing all sorts of tools, jigs, and supplies.

Five hours on the road and six hours at the show have taken it's toll, I'm beat and off to bed !!

Allen, No new tool post, I ended up walking away from the Jet purchase -- even though the offer was good, something just didn't feel right. Ira and I debated it all the way home, think I'll just bite the bullet and go with the proven green one.

J

The white one may be fine but you cannot go wrong with the green one. I kind of have the same feeling that you do. Sometimes quality cannot easily be seen.

Allen

Thanks so much for posting the pics! Yes it was great visiting with everyone, funny how well we know each other just from these posts! I'm heading back to the show tomorrow after I drop LOML off at the airport, she's off to a week of quilting workshop in upstate NY.

Allen didn't mention the AWESOME SawStop demo. If you ever had a doubt about the efficacy of these machines, this will convince you. The skin on the hot dog wasn't broken, and the guy doing the demo was feeding the wood through the blade at quite a clip.

Not too soon to plan for a trip to Orlando next year!

PS, we went to Bern's Steakhouse for dinner tonight -- that is how Phil and I bribed our wives to come over to Tampa -- and experience not to be missed. You'll drop some bucks, but the food and service were impeccable.

Allen -- check out the menu bernssteakhouse.com

Jay

It's always great to meet the people you share the keyboards with. Thanks for sharing the pictures and event with us.

If you guys are planning a Orlando get together, let me know ahead of time...my inlaws live in Orlando and I've been wanting to come down for a woodworking show while my wife visits with her parents.

Looking forward to seeing you next year Steve. And that goes for any other members that we can get there.

I did forget to mention the Saw Stop. Jay made sure that I got over there to see the demo. I was one of the doubters but am starting to change my mind. On second thought it must have been an illusion as nothing could stop a blade that fast. A little hard on the heart when that thing slammed the blade to a stop.

Thanks for the pictures guys! :thumb: I'll bet you had a blast.
I appoligize for not attempting the trip but I was there with you in spirit.

I built a nice big porch onto my shop so I could roll a tool out there when the weather was nice. Maybe sometime this summer we can all get together here with the best of our grill experts and cook some dead cow. :thumb:
We could bring the wives and kiddies.
If the kids get too antsy we'll tie their tails together and throw them over the clothesline. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

Hi Russ, If you are in the market for a new machine the Mini Max stuff sure deserves a look. Hope that they are on display in your neck of the woods soon. I sure would love to have one of their bandsaws. Come to think of it I would love some of their other stuff as well.

We were thinking about you Don. Sorry that you could not make it. We were all exhaused though so you probably made the right decision. A cookout at your place sounds like a great idea. Maybe it would work. After only being able to get three of us together for the show it might be more difficult than we think. No matter what, I will supprise you some day and drop by, not without warning though.

Alright guys, I bit the bullet and went green -- picked up the new Tormek w/ accessories at Woodcraft this morning. Using the cash left that I didn't spend at the show, half the balance on debit card and half on credit card it kinda spreads the pain out evenly. :thumb:

That's great Tony! You are going to love it. Did you get the DVD that Jeff Farris from Sharp Tools USA puts out? I found it to be a big help. Of course you have an expert for a friend which will help.

Credit/debit----that's a good way to do it. Only cost half as much that way.

It was excellent meeting you guys this weekend. Bern's was a great choice. I only ate there once many years ago when I lived in St. Pete. Did you go to the dessert room? You could have easily spent more there than at the show. I got into a terrific debate this weekend about bandsaws in general that was really heated, in a good way, and I'll post all about it next week when I get back, as I think it would make for a great discussion here. I'm in an airport (free Wi-Fi in Tampa airport) on my way to Jersey and the TSI Expo pro show this week. Again, it was great meeting everyone this weekend.

Sam

It was a fun time, well you know the way to avoid spending more at Berns than at the show is to................... yeah, spend a LOT at the show:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Didn't do that but the desert room was a blast.

Jay

You guys have no idea how sorry I was that I couldn't make it to the show. My day simply fell apart. The wife and I couldn't get our schedules to mesh.

I am glad you guys had a great time and I am greatful you thought about me.

I did get a message on my cell phone from Tony(thanks Tony) but it so happend that my brand new cell phone went haywire, I just received my new one today.

I just hope next show rolls around soon.