Mesquite and making pen blanks

Dan Mosley

Well I was off most of the day so I went to pick up a few short logs of Mesquite that was headed for cutting up into fire wood. I picked up the ones in the picture and brought them home - they have a rotten area in them but i think I can cut it out and salvage enough to get some good vessel stock from them.

Really bright red and brown Euc scrap (dried) I had laying around so I decided to cut it up into pen blanks - I have alot of it in small pc's so im going to slice it up into blanks - then work on a pile of Mesquite scrap (dried) and do the same - I figure as much as they charge for pen blanks ill have a ton of them by the time im done cutting up all this scrap - maybe sell off some

Attachments

• photo555.jpg
    photo555.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo222.jpg
    photo222.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
  • Pen Blanks.jpg
    Pen Blanks.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0038555.jpg
    IMG_0038555.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 37
Not a problem - Ill be cutting up the balance on my next day off - probably Sat or Sun and then ill yell and divide them up or whatever.......all are about 1" square and have arrows showing grain line up on them..............ill let you know as soon as i can ...Thanks Dan

Vaughn sent me a chunk of mesquite a while back and I used a little bit of it for pen blanks. I'd never seen mesquite before and it sure is beautiful wood. It made some striking pens :thumb:

Vaughn sent me a chunk of mesquite a while back and I used a little bit of it for pen blanks. I'd never seen mesquite before and it sure is beautiful wood.
It made some striking pens :thumb:
The real beauty of Mesquite in a pen is the fact, it doesn't require a finish. Buffing is all that's required.

If the wood gathers crud from usage, a little liquid dish deterg. on a dish rag will remove the crud. Hand polishing will restore Mesquite to it's original beauty and warm feeling!

Vaughn sent me a chunk of mesquite a while back and I used a little bit of it for pen blanks. I'd never seen mesquite before and it sure is beautiful wood. The real beauty of Mesquite in a pen is the fact, it doesn't require a finish. Buffing is all that's required.

If the wood gathers crud from usage, a little liquid dish deterg. on a dish rag will remove the crud. Hand polishing will restore Mesquite to it's original beauty and warm feeling!

Thanks Mack. It's great getting tips from the master :thumb:

Cut up more pen blanks today - 5/8" - 1" square - Rough cut - most of it is dry (all the Euc is) - some is not (cut 2 months ago - Mesquite ).

I had someone wanting to get a small amount from me that were planned (jointed or whatever..) and totally squared up all 4 sides - Im sorry but I am not able to do that as it would be very time consuming - besides I really do not think that is necessary - If you so desire you may use a mitre box and trim them square - the lathe will round them out so I do not see point really - and not to be sarcastic but I had to do all that the cost would go way up. Im just quickly cutting up alot of blanks that I really did not want to see go to the burn pile because it is a very nice with alot of character in it. Ok, so on to what I can do for anyone interested..........:

Shipping for the small box is "im guessing" $7.00 - $10.00 - It will hold 5 blanks 1" square - 8" long -

Shipping for the larger box is - $12.00 - It will hold 1" square blanks 5 in a Row, 10" long with 8 rows high

I have some rough cut in the above lengths 8" long and 10" Long - - - - -- some cut into 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 (there about) square

Ill make the price the best I can plus the shipping depending on what you want (see above).............

PM me and ill respsond to you on pricing - I have alot of it so there should be enough to go around...........thanks Dan

Attachments

• Pen Blank-16.jpg
    Pen Blank-16.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Pen Blanks-12.jpg
    Pen Blanks-12.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 14
Sunday - I had 6 medium boxes - 4 are gone - 2 left.................mix of Red Euc-mesquite-walnut blanks - today ill cut up the rest of the mesquite and that will be all of the scrap wood I have left....................sell it off to or trade it - but it beats letting it go to firewood................ok thanks Dan