new year challenge-- brent vrs jim

larry merlau

ok we all know that both of these gentlemen have the supplies needed for said projects,,
brent has the wood for a table and jim has a walnut crotch ...

so here is the challenge to both of them, they have all year to finish these projects and they both will win the prize..if they complete there projects..

the prize will be disclosed later:) also we need to have pictures for proof, preferably some in process pics, but not disqualified if they dont:)
also we are family oriented so no wagers on this guys and gals:) just give your player any support you can to complete this as soon as they can there will be a bonus if completed before june 1st;)

Yeah, right... Maybe, Just maybe Sharon might be, but she knows me too well....

no if you recall some time ago i had given you some insight on how to get around that hurdle thats in frnt of you.. and anyone that has as much patience as you have to have to do your day job i know you can jump that hurdle brent and i can surly say that once you get past that hurdle that your next endeavor will go much easier.. BTDT to many times like just had one tonight.. but the old mistakes are easier to fix after you have done it once..profiled pieces to accept a panel the pane drops and dents the profile a 1/8" -- cure say bad words then get the water bottle and the fine pry bar and some more coffee,, squeeze in water and wait for it to soak then squeeze in more and now its passable after a touch sand.. only one that wil ever see it is me:) but you have your own tricks that you can use and if you need more incentive or suggestions due to your memory lapse in your older age just ask and were right here to help!!

no if you recall some time ago ( when I don't remember) i had given you some insight on how to get around that hurdle thats in frnt of you.. and if you need more incentive or suggestions due to your memory lapse in your older age just ask and were right here to help!!
However you may have to remind me who you are when you call or E-mail a pic would help.....LOL

no if you recall some time ago i had given you some insight on how to get around that hurdle thats in frnt of you.. and anyone that has as much patience as you have to have to do your day job i know you can jump that hurdle brent and i can surly say that once you get past that hurdle that your next endeavor will go much easier.. BTDT to many times like just had one tonight.. but the old mistakes are easier to fix after you have done it once..profiled pieces to accept a panel the pane drops and dents the profile a 1/8" -- cure say bad words then get the water bottle and the fine pry bar and some more coffee,, squeeze in water and wait for it to soak then squeeze in more and now its passable after a touch sand.. only one that wil ever see it is me:) but you have your own tricks that you can use and if you need more incentive or suggestions due to your memory lapse in your older age just ask and were right here to help!!

And that particular project is on my list right after I finish up what I'm currently working on.

I will take up the challenge, and rearrange the schedule to put this next on the list...

I am a little lost in this thread and am hoping someone can fill in the blanks. First, Jim who? Second, which projects? I am assuming that Brent would be building his Thanksgiving Table, but maybe I am wrong and he is talking about an entirely different project.

I am a little lost in this thread and am hoping someone can fill in the blanks. First, Jim who? Second, which projects? I am assuming that Brent would be building his Thanksgiving Table, but maybe I am wrong and he is talking about an entirely different project.

answers so you wont be lost bill satko:) Jim bradley has a walnut crotch he got from paul gallian and a little help from me.. and it needs to be made into something on the lathe.. as for brent, yes i was referring to the thanksgiving table.. sorry i left out to much on the writing of it originally..:)

Ahhh, I was a little lost too I think. I thought Larry was referring to the walnut he gave me.

I'm currently working on a project, actively, well, when the weather cooperates. It's been too darn cold the last couple of days.

I should wrap up my current project in a couple of weeks, and the table was definitely next on my list.

I just don't post in process projects anymore. My policy now is to wait until I finish something to post. Doesn't happen often, I know, but I think this year will be different.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

As both gentleman are quite dear to me, I don't feel like taking part for one or the other. However, at the risk of introducing some caos and more difficulties on the challeng I drop here the idea of both of them making one single project out of that wood and crotch they have.

That would be a great example of cooperation between generations... Dunno.:dunno:

hey jim Bradley,, you havnt replied to this thread yet:) we need to make sure your aware of it so that Brent has some competition:) we already know brent is working towards it.. how are doing on this challenge:) or do we need to get glenn after you:)

hey jim Bradley,, you havnt replied to this thread yet:) we need to make sure your aware of it so that Brent has some competition:) we already know brent is working towards it.. how are doing on this challenge:) or do we need to get glenn after you:)

I'm already after him Mr. Sergeant, Sir! Dad is well aware. While I was down we were measuring and considering the crotch (that could sound odd in another situation).

As to Brent's statement about not posting process pics, I call foul! Watching how others accomplish their tasks is a great way for the rest of us to learn a new or alternate way of doing things. I say; "bring on the 'in progress' shots", who's with me!?!!

Last edited:
As to Brent's statement about not posting process pics, I call foul! Watching how others accomplish their tasks is a great way for the rest of us to learn a new or alternate way of doing things. I say; "bring on the 'in progress' shots", who's with me!?!!

I agree! But maybe we should also add lack of progress photo's so that we at least have some posts in this thread.:)