Scroll Saw???

I seldom use a scroll saw. I make my own Zero Clearance inserts. The saw would be pretty close to useless if I did not have them. I am very glad that I have the saw; I do use it. It just plain makes some tasks easier and better. Glenn, my son, has the Dewalt and really likes it.

I don't know if the above helps you. At least it gives you another view point.

Enjoy,

JimB

I have had a DeWalt 788 for awhile and it performs well. Key things I was looking for after crawling the forums and "talking" with owners about how I would use the saw (your use would of course, likely be different):
  • Power - I cut 3/4" hardwoods with it.
  • Variable speed - minimizing vibration is a combination of a quality tool, the blade, material and speed of the stroke.
  • Toolless adjustment - I didn't want to fool with pinned blades, wrenches or any other gizmos when changing blades or tilting the table.
  • Ease of blade threading during fretwork - I added the Easy Lift which could probably be shop-made. Well worth $20; especially around Christmas when I do gift pieces that involve a lot of detailed fretwork.
  • reindeer-round 002.jpgbox-bird-fret-top-009.jpgmoms-umb-stnd-done 001.jpgscroll-bird-mom-xmas-2011 (3).jpg
  • Good lighting and blower - These are the lowest priority as both can be added later.

There are a few good scroll saws out there and I often see good values on used saws from folks who thought they would use one but don't. Peruse the Classifieds here and on other forums (check scrolling forums too).

Last edited:
I know next to nothing about scroll saws, but in general, 50% of retail is usually a pretty good price for used tools in good condition. I also suspect if you got this one for $250 and decided you didn't like it, you could sell it for the same amount. ;)

I'd get it if I was looking for a scroll saw.

Well, talk about an unexpected, wasted trip! Visited the seller (can't use the term Gentleman in this case as it doesn't apply) with full expectations of buying the DW788 Scroll Saw at his asking price. I talked to him on the phone just prior to leaving to confirm everything, including: like new, excellent condition; works great - will demo; no rust; accessories included & their condition is also like new; and price. Good to go! Sequence of events as they unfolded:

• Arrived to find him cleaning his RV Camper.
  • His arms & hands are full of suds.
  • He had a towel in his hip pocket, but shook my hand without drying his. My hand is now also full of suds. I shake the suds off, but he doesn't offer the towel. What's with this?
  • Exchanged pleasantries, as best I could. He's a gruff old guy with the personality of a dead fish.
  • He took me into his garage & the DW788 is stuck in the corner, he hadn't prepared for my visit.
  • He pulls it out & shows it to me.
  • This did not look like the saw in the CL listing, he must have used old pictures & in a different location.
  • It's not like new: the table is totally rusted, the stand has rust in various location & is covered with paint spatter. This will take a good amount of effort to restore to "like new" condition.
  • I ask to have him demo the saw & he turns it on (slow speed) & that's it. I ask to try it on a piece of scrap wood lying on the floor.
  • I noticed that the blade slot has been widened irregularly for some reason & that could affect some narrow cuts.
  • I try cutting the wood & have to adjust the speed up. Starts to vibrate - really vibrates at top end.
  • Check the table & the table mounting bolts are loose. Hand tighten them & try again. Vibration still there without cutting.
  • This is NOT going well!
  • Cosmetically the rest of the saw is not bad O/A, but I can't get a warm feeling about it.
  • He keeps repeating "I don't need to sell it, I don't need the money", at least 4 times. Why is he telling me this. If he didn't want to sell it, why list it?
  • Finally, I decide I can't own something I can't be proud of & I think of the joy I felt when I bought the Ridgid Jointer/Planer & the Ridgid Table Saw for the same $250 price. Can't begin to compare the Scroll Saw to these other purchases.
  • Decision made! Thanks but no thanks it was a nice ride anyway.
  • Oh well, win some, lose some. Bummer!

PS Forgot to mention the following that I picked up during our meeting today:
  • He was NOT the original buyer, he bought from someone else.
  • He didn't know what model year the scroll saw was.
  • He couldn't remember when he bought it from the other guy.
  • He had no manual.
  • He hadn't done any maintenance, it was as he bought it.
  • Turns out he really hadn't used it at all.
  • Apparently, he bought it second hand (probably at a garage/estate sale - my thought) hoping to re-sell at a profit(???)

Last edited:
Gotta go with your gut, and I can understand why your gut was telling you to pass on this one, Al. ;) There will be others. :yes:

I'm with you Allen. Anyone who would misrepresent with a picture would not hesitate to misrepresent (lie) about other things...

I have no idea what you mean. :huh: By the way, here's a recent photo of me...as you can see, I've trimmed the hair a bit.

DaveDraper2.jpg