Some of you may remember that just over a year ago I acquired a cardboard box full of wooden moulding planes. In that box were some complex molding planes. I am just now going through the entire collection, getting them in working shape. All need cleaning and their blades sharpened. I started with two of the complex molders, finished one and am working on the blade of the other.
The first plane was completely blackened with soot and some sticky substance. The plane required more extensive cleaning than just paint thinner. I had to use Denatured Alcohol and a Norton Final Shine Gray pad to clean it. I was able to still maintain patina, but I did rejuvenate it with a very light cut of shellac that was rubbed with the Final Shine Gray pad and then waxed. It really turned out nice and you can still see the hand prints of those users before me.
The blade required a little effort to flatten, as it was back honed, either by design or error. I like a flat back, so I put in the effort to make it that way. First on sandpaper and then my water stones. I had roughly planed a board with the plane before sharpening so that I could use the resultant moulding as a way to hone the bevel and remove the burr. It just required some honing compound. Worked very well.
Here is the plane. I could not help but try it out. It was really enjoyable. The shaving came flying out of the plane. The finish of the wood was great. I believe the plane was for creating base floor molding.
Here is the shape of the other complex molder. You will note the expensive boxing. I think this one is something special.