Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready For Retirement....

Ready For Retirement....

Yep, these guys are ready to retire.....

None of the batteries will hold a charge, so they are all going to be scrapped, kind of a shame, but I have more than enough drills and impact drivers, so these guys are just taking up precious space.

Some first of the year cleaning going on.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'm down to one battery for 4 of the Makita 14.4's that I have and that battery only takes about a third of a charge. Tonight I'm going to pick up a couple of Hitachi's Lithium ions that are on sale at Lowes. For what I do, impact drivers are pretty useless.
    It sure hurts to take a bunch of tools and toss them in the trash though
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I have an old 12v hitachi drill which I almost never use any more, due to battery issues. I've toyed with the idea of turning it into a Corded drill.
    (not really because I have any strong need, but just to see if I can. I'm a nerd, what can I say.)

So I googled around, wondering if I can take a wire from the charger to the drill... I know I'd have to get around the charging circuitry... but then found a website where it was suggested that you find a scrap charger for a laptop, as those typically put out 14-18v at a pretty decent amperage. I'm not sure what my 12v drill would do if I put 18v through it, but I can probably figure out how to step down the voltage.

But I'm too busy with other projects, so I may just end up doing the same thing you did.
    Oh, and as an aside -- I did try replacing the batteries. I found a place in the US where I ordered a pair of batteries for $50, and one of them went belly up after 12-18months, won't charge AT ALL. Which is pretty much when I went shopping and picked up that nice Ridgid 12v.

oh yeah, have fun purging! Purging is hard, I know, but afterwards it is fun to see how much space is freed up. It's a "lighter" feeling.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Funny thing, Stu,
    I just asked for and received a pair of batteries for my Ryobi 18v One+ system. I have almost the complete set of 18v tools now, only missing the impact driver (on my short list of tools to buy this year though). Looks like you've gotten decent use out of them though.
    -Ned

Looks like you have field tested several brands. Any favorites? My Dewalt batteries are dieing.
    "We the People ......"

Its always a tough decision but, one we all make from time to time. Congrats on freeing up some space. Kudos to the tools for giving you a good run of service.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Looks like you have field tested several brands. Any favorites? My Dewalt batteries are dieing.
    I'm a fan of the Hitachi tools, the new Li-Ion impact I have, 14.4V totally rocks, but was not cheap here in Japan, about $450 for the driver with charger and two batteries, that being said, it has held up very well, drives long big screws into 2x4s all day long without fail. Comparatively I have well over $450 into the stuff on the bench you see in the picture, none of them lasted very long.
    I also very much like the Makita tools. I have had bad luck with the green Boche tools, the blue ones rock, but the consumer grade greens ones are best avoided, IMHO.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I have an old 12v hitachi drill which I almost never use any more, due to battery issues. I've toyed with the idea of turning it into a Corded drill.
    (not really because I have any strong need, but just to see if I can. I'm a nerd, what can I say.)

So I googled around, wondering if I can take a wire from the charger to the drill... I know I'd have to get around the charging circuitry... but then found a website where it was suggested that you find a scrap charger for a laptop, as those typically put out 14-18v at a pretty decent amperage. I'm not sure what my 12v drill would do if I put 18v through it, but I can probably figure out how to step down the voltage.

But I'm too busy with other projects, so I may just end up doing the same thing you did.
    Oh, and as an aside -- I did try replacing the batteries. I found a place in the US where I ordered a pair of batteries for $50, and one of them went belly up after 12-18months, won't charge AT ALL. Which is pretty much when I went shopping and picked up that nice Ridgid 12v.

oh yeah, have fun purging! Purging is hard, I know, but afterwards it is fun to see how much space is freed up. It's a "lighter" feeling.
    Yeah, I looked into that as well, but I already have 8 or 9 corded 3/8" drills, I only bought two, the others have been given to me by people leaving Japan. I also have a very old but very strong good 1/2" drill motor, this is perfect for mixing up buckets of concrete or dry wall mud, I keep if just for this purpose. Add to that one corded impact and two hammer drills, one 3/8" and the other 1/2". I think I have enough corded drills
    William Arthur Ward

The battery issue is a real crime. My DeWalt is only a couple years old. It is an occasional use tool. But the batteries are dieing also, they won't hold a charge between uses. Did I say, this is a crime?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've got an old, old dewalt cordless drill that I've been hanging on to that the batteries are shot on. Did see a replacement battery at the local Ace Hardware on clearance, but they were still wanting $32. Would consider it, but the battery packaging looked as old as the drill I have, so not sure it would last long. Perhaps if they knock off 50% I might bite.

I've been having good luck with my Hitachis too, I bought them as refurbs and they've been holding up as well as the dewalts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault