on a recent vacation

allen levine

we managed to get stuck in a complete whiteout for approx 4-5 hours. It was cold with very tough wind chills. It hurt to walk outside.
by late afternoon, it cleared up and got a bit warmer.
this was our view out of our hotel window. Nice view.

we knew the risks of visiting the grand canyon in late december.
it was worth the dry cracked painful skin and my wifes and daughters nose bleeds.(not to mention a bad sunburn)

Attachments

• DSC01581.jpg
    DSC01581.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 57
Now thats a view Allen. Bet there were not too many people around. That would make it worthwhile for me. The snow is a nice touch though.

Tom there is something up with the picture. I can see you and Larry and can bet Bill is taking the pic but i see a missing non gringo so were you looking for a missing companion down the gorge?:)

Wow. In what hotel did you stay?

kachina lodge.

el tovar was booked solid, and bright angel, our second choice didnt have any canyon view rooms left.

we were suprised with the quality of the room.

the lodge itself looked like a college dorm in the hallways, plain, simple, oldish, but the rooms were modern and the beds were fine.

Awesome view, Allen. :thumb: Glad you got a chance to go, even if it was cold.

...Bet there were not too many people around...

Back in the early 1980s, our band was playing a week at a club in Flagstaff (one of our favorite gigs for several reasons) and one night after the 2:00 AM closing time we all decided to drive up to the canyon to watch the sun rise. When we got to the canyon, all of the observation spots were unoccupied. It was a moonless night, but we gingerly found our way to the rim and found comfy places to sit and waited for the sun. As the sun started to rise, the tourists started showing up, many directly from their sleeping bags or RV beds. Nearly everyone was groggy, hardly talking, and in pajamas or sweats looking like they had just woken up. Everyone with the exception of us longhairs (wide awake, laughing our tails off, and still wearing what we'd worn on stage the night before) and all of the Japanese tourists, who were also wide awake, talking up a storm, and wearing coats and ties at 6:00 AM. :D

Also when the sun came up, we learned there was a good 100+ foot drop right below where we were dangling our feet. :rolleyes: