Did a little milling today

We cut up a small red oak and another piece of spalted maple today. The red oak was a small one, but we were able to get some nice QS boards.IMAG0805.jpgIMAG0806.jpg The maple was nice too. I cut this one thicker, mostly 2 and 3 inch slabs. Here's a couple of pictures and one of a bookmatched pair.IMAG0807.jpgIMAG0808.jpgIMAG0811.jpg This last picture is of a chunk with some fairly nice figure, it's 36" long.IMAG0809.jpgIMAG0810.jpg I probably spend as much time trying to decide on how best to cut a log as on the actually cutting.

Last edited:
We cut up a small red oak and another piece of spalted maple today. The red oak was a small one, but we were able to get some nice QS boards.View attachment 72964View attachment 72965 The maple was nice too. I cut this one thicker, mostly 2 and 3 inch slabs. Here's a couple of pictures and one of a bookmatched pair.View attachment 72966View attachment 72967View attachment 72968 This last picture is of a chunk with some fairly nice figure, it's 36" long.View attachment 72969View attachment 72970 I probably spend as much time trying to decide on how best to cut a log as on the actually cutting.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72968&d=1357427574
what size are these john?

and how is it that your oak is so red looking in the pictures?

well charles the red oak i have cut isnt even close to that red that he shows:) just ask tom he has seen some of it:) i think he must be feeding his trees red dye:)

Going from memory Larry those are around 15 - 18 inches by 8 ft. Those pics of the oak are right after the cut and are wet from cutting. I use water as a blade lubericant. When they dry they turn the normal red oak color.