Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Built in Entertainment Center Project

Built in Entertainment Center Project

So you may remember the fireplace project from a few years ago.

Well, I finally got started on doing something about the hole in the wall where the old fireplace was.

Here's what the 'general' plan is.

First, it's just going to be a very basic built in cabinent made out of cherry. The alcove will be paneled with 1/4" cherry ply.

There are a few twists though, in that I'll be making sure that the entertainment center is ventilated using filtered air, to make sure that the components stay cool and clean. That's a requirement from Sharon.

All electronics will be hidden behind the doors. I'll be using an RF based remote that uses IR blasters to communicate with the electronics components.

There will also be a pull out rackmount shelf for housing the components to make it easy to get at the wiring that goes behind them.

I'm already well down the path on this project. The paneling is up, the cabinet is well underway, and the pull out shelf mechanism is designed and built. More posts and pics to follow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC_General_Idea.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	72993
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

good deal brent,, cherry will look well in that area..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Ok, So the first step was to get that alcove paneled in. It's 52" wide. Too wide for a single sheet for the back. So I decided that the best thing to do would be to rip two sheets to 28" (to give me some room to play with) and then join them in the middle.

This isn't paneling, made to be placed on walls, but rather is a pretty nice bit of cherry ply. So I used the table saw to make a very tiny half lap on the two pieces of ply to join them in the middle.

The first time I did it I had a bit of an issue with glue squeeze out and it caused some issues with the finish. The veneer is too thin to do much sanding on so the glue squeeze out is really an issue.

Since I had made my cuts oversize, I had enough room to cut out the joint, redo the half lap, and redo it. I was successful the second time.

Now the other issue I had was the top of the alcove. I didn't want to have to use up 2 other sheets, so I sliced a 22" section off of my joined panel to use for the 'ceiling' if you will. The cabinet will be taller than that, so I figured no one will notice or care if the back of the cabinet at the bottom was not cherry. That helped me save on wood. Also it makes the grain flow on the back wall up to the ceiling, not that anyone would ever notice.

I used a simple finishing technique that worked quite well. I would wipe on a seal coat, lightly sand that, and then put on a few coats of wipe on satin poly. I actually really like the way the alcove has turned out.

You'll notice there are some gaps though at the corners. Thats where I went and made some custom cherry cove molding that will cover the gaps.

Gluing the panels together

Name:	FWW-4458.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	72999

This panel had some nasty glue issues. Time to recut and reglue

Name:	FWW-4464.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	72997

Ok, That's looking better

Name:	FWW-4465.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	72996

Glue issue is gone, well, mostly.

Name:	FWW-4461.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	72998

Used some cauls and some homemade supports and some construction adhesive to glue the panel to the ceiling. I put some finishing nails around the edges. The molding will also help to keep it in place.

Name:	FWW-4457.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	73000

Ok, so Obviously some gaps, but the molding will cover the gaps. The bottom of the back will be covered by the cabinet.

Name:	FWW-8625.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	72995

Custom cherry cove molding. A little thick and bold. Should cover all the corners nicely.

Name:	FWW-8627.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	72994
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

So here's pretty much where I am right now.

I've got the carcass made up out of 3/4 Cherry ply. I have the face frame made up. This was the dry fit where everything was screwed together.

Everything is now apart and I'm working on sanding and finishing and gluing.

I also have the top that is made out of solid cherry, but I don't have a picture of that right now.

Name:	FWW-4473.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	73003

And here is the sliding/pivoting rack mount for the electronic equipement. I'll be using ventilated rack mount shelves to hold the electronic components.

I made this with 100# full extension slides so that it will slide all the way out and let you pivot it to get to the wires in the back.

This plywood piece will be sanded/filled and painted black to match the components.

Name:	FWW-4478.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	73002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW-4479.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	73001

well i havnt ever seen a shiplap joint in plywood like that before brent,, tuff to clamp and get it right, you done well.. i would have used a mullion in the middle to make it easier to work with.

that swivel drawer is slick and should work out just fine..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 01-07-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well i havnt ever seen a shiplap joint in plywood like that before brent,, tuff to clamp and get it right, you done well.. i would have used a mullion in the middle to make it easier to work with.

that swivel drawer is slick and should work out just fine..
    I thought about doing some kind of mullion, but I really just wanted it to be one piece. Took a couple of tries, but it worked out ok.

Coming along nicely!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looking good so far
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Looking good, I like the swivel idea...a contortionist I never was
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

What! Progress photo's without the shop dogs inspecting everything. How is it you were able to take photo's without them in the way?
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde