Built in Entertainment Center Project

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So you may remember the fireplace project from a few years ago.

Well, I finally got started on doing something about the hole in the wall where the old fireplace was.

Here's what the 'general' plan is.

First, it's just going to be a very basic built in cabinent made out of cherry. The alcove will be paneled with 1/4" cherry ply.

There are a few twists though, in that I'll be making sure that the entertainment center is ventilated using filtered air, to make sure that the components stay cool and clean. That's a requirement from Sharon.

All electronics will be hidden behind the doors. I'll be using an RF based remote that uses IR blasters to communicate with the electronics components.

There will also be a pull out rackmount shelf for housing the components to make it easy to get at the wiring that goes behind them.

I'm already well down the path on this project. The paneling is up, the cabinet is well underway, and the pull out shelf mechanism is designed and built. More posts and pics to follow.

EC_General_Idea.jpg

Ok, So the first step was to get that alcove paneled in. It's 52" wide. Too wide for a single sheet for the back. So I decided that the best thing to do would be to rip two sheets to 28" (to give me some room to play with) and then join them in the middle.

This isn't paneling, made to be placed on walls, but rather is a pretty nice bit of cherry ply. So I used the table saw to make a very tiny half lap on the two pieces of ply to join them in the middle.

The first time I did it I had a bit of an issue with glue squeeze out and it caused some issues with the finish. The veneer is too thin to do much sanding on so the glue squeeze out is really an issue.

Since I had made my cuts oversize, I had enough room to cut out the joint, redo the half lap, and redo it. I was successful the second time.

Now the other issue I had was the top of the alcove. I didn't want to have to use up 2 other sheets, so I sliced a 22" section off of my joined panel to use for the 'ceiling' if you will. The cabinet will be taller than that, so I figured no one will notice or care if the back of the cabinet at the bottom was not cherry. That helped me save on wood. Also it makes the grain flow on the back wall up to the ceiling, not that anyone would ever notice.

I used a simple finishing technique that worked quite well. I would wipe on a seal coat, lightly sand that, and then put on a few coats of wipe on satin poly. I actually really like the way the alcove has turned out.

You'll notice there are some gaps though at the corners. Thats where I went and made some custom cherry cove molding that will cover the gaps.

Gluing the panels together
FWW-4458.jpg

This panel had some nasty glue issues. Time to recut and reglue
FWW-4464.jpg

Ok, That's looking better
FWW-4465.jpg

Glue issue is gone, well, mostly.
FWW-4461.jpg

Used some cauls and some homemade supports and some construction adhesive to glue the panel to the ceiling. I put some finishing nails around the edges. The molding will also help to keep it in place.
FWW-4457.jpg

Ok, so Obviously some gaps, but the molding will cover the gaps. The bottom of the back will be covered by the cabinet.
FWW-8625.jpg

Custom cherry cove molding. A little thick and bold. Should cover all the corners nicely.
FWW-8627.jpg

So here's pretty much where I am right now.

I've got the carcass made up out of 3/4 Cherry ply. I have the face frame made up. This was the dry fit where everything was screwed together.

Everything is now apart and I'm working on sanding and finishing and gluing.

I also have the top that is made out of solid cherry, but I don't have a picture of that right now.

FWW-4473.jpg

And here is the sliding/pivoting rack mount for the electronic equipement. I'll be using ventilated rack mount shelves to hold the electronic components.

I made this with 100# full extension slides so that it will slide all the way out and let you pivot it to get to the wires in the back.

This plywood piece will be sanded/filled and painted black to match the components.

FWW-4478.jpgFWW-4479.jpg

well i havnt ever seen a shiplap joint in plywood like that before brent,, tuff to clamp and get it right, you done well.. i would have used a mullion in the middle to make it easier to work with.

that swivel drawer is slick and should work out just fine..

Last edited:
well i havnt ever seen a shiplap joint in plywood like that before brent,, tuff to clamp and get it right, you done well.. i would have used a mullion in the middle to make it easier to work with.

that swivel drawer is slick and should work out just fine..

I thought about doing some kind of mullion, but I really just wanted it to be one piece. Took a couple of tries, but it worked out ok.

What! Progress photo's without the shop dogs inspecting everything. How is it you were able to take photo's without them in the way?

The dogs haven't been all that keen to spend any time in the shop, as the floor level is still quite cold! I'll try to do better with my future progress photos... :D

you mean that those guys are so spoiled that they dont like cold weather:) charlie stayed out for 2 hrs the other night chewing on a bone it was 20 F out side i called him he just turned looked at me and said not right now thanks:)

Yep, They are thoroughly spoiled. Especially Logan... Truth be told, they'd rather be running around outside in the snow than stuck in the shop. They find it kind of boring in there. Lots more things to chase, dig, and eat outside...

Got a little work done tonight.

Took apart the face frame, glued it up, and reassembled that.

Sanded off the rack mount assembly and got a coat of sanding sealer on it. Will go get some black semi gloss paint for it tomorrow and get it painted up.

No pics, cause there's not much to see.

Great looking panel and cool project. I like Sharons ideas when it comes to hiding all the electronics and the dust thing. :thumb:

Must say i learnt a thing or two already in your post. Back to the pocket hole screwing/glueing thing I always was under the impression the whole idea of pocket hole screws and the joinery technique was to enable no glue to be used and get a tight joint. Now all and sundry say glue anyhow. Well i will bow to learning from the superior experience and knowledge.

Just looking at your trim is it all gonna be straight and flat or do you have in mind to turn some of it into a bit of real moulding with an ogee or flute or two? Your drawing has it looking very plain on the outside so hence my question. Are doors just going to be flat panels or you plan on raising them a tad?

Anyhow nice to see your ideas and most important see you getting some time to be in the shop.:thumb: Look forward to seeing more of it .

I havent' completely decided on the exterior trim yet. Was thinking of doing some fluting maybe, but not much. The trim that I made for the inside corners is a pretty basic cove molding profile.

The doors will be raised panels. I picked up that router bit set from Glenn a while ago that should work out well for this project.

I've already got the panels glued up, just working through the steps.

Feels good to be working on it. I'm spending a little time everyday. It's not going as fast as I'd like, but that's the nature of a 'hobby'

brent watch your temps for the paint drying or the sealer even.. cold weather isnt good for finishing unless you bring it inside to dry..

Good point. We are supposed to warm up a bit the next day or so, I'll try and get some done then.

After that I reckon I'll have to get some space here in the house devoted to finishing.