Thread: Nothings ever free!!!

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

Nothings ever free!!!

A buddy of mine, brought me a bag of blow in insulation just about every other week or so during this past summer...usually had one or two leftovers from side jobs he takes on, & he wanted to show some appreciation for use of my shop when he's in need &/or doing a job close by. Our house is a small 2 bedroom starter with a hip roof over the main, & flat roofs over the kitchen & utility. Anyways, we added about 22" to the 3 or 4 inches already up there...sweet feeling along with free baffles and the fact that the blower machine didn't cost us either as he gets free use due to the volume he does with the distributor...couldn't be much better right?

Well, let's not forget about old Mr Murphy...the next morning, I'm out snowblowing the neighbors drive, admiring how our roof has more snow than most of the neighbors, when here comes my Mrs flat out movin, screaming & waving her arms frantically, something about water leaking. Now granted, 1/2" staples were probably over-kill on the baffles, but they were what I had on hand and being as my roof is 3/4" roof boards... I had to shut down the machine and get her to calm down a second to explain a wee bit better of what was going on.

Seems our 10 yr old hot water tank gave up the ghost and was leaking like a sieve...OK no biggie, show her 'once again' where & how to turn the water off, ran up to HD and bought a replacement, simple enough right...nope! Not with original galvanized pipes, 1948ish installed age...Grrr, thirtyumpteen trips back & forth to HD and half of the house's plumbing replaced, things are about even money-wise.....Oh yeah, today I finally started to turn the spare bedroom into a craft/computer room, so I better close for now and go buy Murph a six pack or two

Thanks, just needed to spit the taste outta my mouth so i can move on
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

I hear you Ken, but chin up, you still got a sweet deal on the insulation!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I hear you Ken, but chin up, you still got a sweet deal on the insulation!
    Yeah, you'd be upside down if it hadn't been for the free insulation. And think about it....since the insulation will save you money each and every month on your electrical/gas bills, you'll have some extra to feed Murphy with and still be even!!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Your right Stu, even with 3 yrs of my tires spinning{unemployed} at least I'm not sliding backwards...but I do wish, if things are going to continue like this, that the L shop was closer

Edit: good eye Jim thanks!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

and you will be toasty warm instead of shiverun on the couch when the misses get upset with you not doing the chores on time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Not only will the insulation save you money, but I'll bet the new water heater will cost less to run than the old one, too. See Ken, you're already getting ahead. (And I'm not talking about the foam on Mr. Murphy's beer.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I was going to say, looks like you'll be saving some coin on the heating/cooling. I'm not a stranger to Murphy either, can tell you from experience that it could have been a worse visit.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault