A little disapointed

Ok received the call today that the order is in. I load up the trailer and tools this time to do an inspection. This is the e-mail I sent Grizzly.

The shipment arrived today and i went to pick it up. The box looks like it had been run into with a fork lift as well as bashed around pretty good. I was hesitant to accept it but we opened the top and had a look inside I saw that one of the hold down straps at the bottom of the box had been separated from the plywood by the fork lift fork but it was not a big deal if that was the only problem. I accepted the order and brought it home. This is where I have discovered the damage. The base of the box itself looks like has collapsed under the weight of the machine as it has no center support I then noticed a small chunk of cast iron under the corner of the machine. When I opened the doors and removed the extra box’s out from under the machine I found a second chunk of cast iron. and upon close inspection I found that the forklift rods (supplied and used to lift the machine) have been forced into and have broken the cast ribs used as limiters to stop the rods from hitting each other. Further inspection I discovered that the front lifting wheel had been broken by the forklift used to load the machine ( the initial damage of the shipping crate) it has also slightly bent the right rear wheel. This is disappointing to say the least. What is really disappointing is that once again the paint is cracking in areas of the upper casting in a few spots. , I can say that I am not very impressed with any of this but really about the paint issue as this was the reason the first machine was rejected and was suppose to have been inspected. What do you suggest we do with this? I have pictures but am having issues with the new windows 8 and sending them in a size that doesn’t take all day.

Sincerely
Drew Watson

Drew,

I am very sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. I hope it gets resolved in a way that does not get you any more upset.

I have made several purchases from Grizzly. All of them have run smoothly. All of them have provided me with tools that were better than I expected for the price. In fact a set of large Forstner bits are the best Forstners I have had. I absolutely love my 17 inch bandsaw.

Enjoy,

JimB

Ok just an adjustment to the damage ( not as bad as I thought) with the wheel it turns out to be one of the leveling pads that was busted. still a pain but not as serious as the wheel. This is unusual for my dealings with grizzly but something that must be made aware to the people who run the company. I am sure that they do their best but it is the guys in the ware house that are responsible for this issue with the paint. I would hope that they didn't do the damage to the crate before it was shipped and that it did happen in shipping. Running into something with a forklift is not something that no one notices and should be made aware to the management of the company ( would want to know if it was my company) . I am sure that the broken cast chunks will not influence the machine as will the chipped and cracked paint but it is still damage. The leveling pad is an issue that can be worked around till another one is delivered.

Last edited:
Received a e-mail from Grizzly Stating that their inspection dept inspected the machine for flaws in the paint and said that they found none. Now I am trying to get this damn computer to compress the pictures to send them. The new windows 8 OS is causing me nothing but grief in the photo dept. I am sending part numbers of the damaged parts for replacement. Sounds like they have some issues with one dept but are all over fixing this situation with the broken parts. will keep you posted on what happens next.

Not yet Vaughn. I am getting my kid over tonight to look at the system and he is bringing a copy of the photo shop to install. That might make a difference I also started recording these pics in small format on the camera. the new FX does full frame and the DX crops 1/3 of the picture so it made the pictures smaller to begine with so that could also be part of the problem.

Anyways was in the process of filling the gear case with oil and took the gear cover off and what do you think I found? yea more cracked and broken paint. passed it on to grizzly already with pics. This is something that could not have been seen so I am not ticked at the inspection for that but it is something that their quality control dept needs to know.

Oh and don't get me wrong. I might have been disappointed at this but through this whole situation Grizzly has been really helpful. Just this lot of machines have some issues with that Grizzly needs to be made aware of. The shipping issue might just be the guys handling it and that is again something that they need to be made aware of. It is my belief that everything happens for a reason it just depends on how you look at it.

It sounds like you've got the right attitude about the whole thing, Drew. :thumb: I hope it all gets resolved quickly for you.

I was thinking that Larry but I am not sure that they have the better quality blade installed in the machines

When I was making my choice I was lucky enough to have a guy who had the G0490X and a G0586 with a Byrd nearby. He said he used them interchangeably and gave it no thought. After running several boards across each myself, I had to agree. I bought the pre-installed head on my jointer and planer. No regrets.

drew you need to get this info threw to someone higher than just the receptionist answering your call.. not sure how to get it there but they need to know your thoughts and the things that are going on with you.

I have had a reply back from the lady. They have passed on this info to the shipping supervisor as well as the quality control guy. She sent me the instructions as to how to change out the base unit as the guy in the warehouse wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and if I wanted to do it myself or would I just be happy with the machine as it was. Yea right. Its broken and I know that sending it back and taking the chance on the next might be even worse. Fix what I have is my only choice now. That and making sure that the parts are ordered right. The catalogue that came with it is not the same as the one that they have on line and it has two machines in it and the reference the larger machine which is slightly different from the unit that I have. If you want to talk confusion I tell ya this is it. Glad that I took the time to read the manual at least. Spent a good part of the day cleaning all the packing grease and oil off the machine and putting all the gear oils and such into it. Greasing where it needs it and oiling the others as well as paste waxing the bed. All and all it looks like a pretty solid machine. Sharpe knives too as I was cleaning the oils /grease off the blade with a few layers of towels it cut right through them and into my finger just that fast. Real eye opener.

........... I have to wonder, first they give you a machine with some damage, you have to send it back then they send you a machine that is even more damaged, this time you keep it and agree to fix it with your own time and labour and their parts...... sounds like they have figured out a great way to keep stuff out of the scratch and dent tent :D

OK I'm half joking, but how many times, on how many forums have I seen this play out with Grizzly? They know that as woodworkers most all of us can't wait to open that big carton with a new toy.... errr tool in it and to delay that gratification is a very hard thing to do, now after you get one less than satisfactory tool another is sent to you, it too is no good, so many phone calls, and email later, as well as fooling around with document it all, they send you a third machine, I would think that almost anyone would just accept it no matter what. I think you should send it back and tell them that if they cannot deliver a new undamaged machine to you, then you should not be paying the new undamaged price, the CoC restricts what I would like to say about this kind of thing. I'm not saying it is a coordinated effort by them, just get my conspiracy juices flowing is all...:rolleyes:

I second what Stu says this stinks to me. Stu has a very good point. They get credit in the process for all the communications and so called support but hey who is on the receiving end of this.
If we buy a car would we accept it if it was full of scratches. Some would argue a machine is going to get scratched up and potentially paint damaged during use and moving.

So did my new car when i got it new but that dont mean i pay for a car with scratches. Time to call halt to this kind of practice. There should be compensation involved here Drew i dont think you being unreasonable. Besides they could drive a unit up to you given the proximity of Bellignham to Vancouver. Perhaps its time to let the Grizzly President know what you going through.

I know they are different machines, but I'd be interested in seeing some comparison pictures of how Stu's saw stop was packaged up and how Drews Grizz was packaged.

Stu's machine made it all the way to Japan and it seems to me nobody managed to stuff the forks through it...

i am on stu's team this time.. i know your anxious to get this up and running drew but i would stand my ground ,call them up and say this has been enough i want this and it would be the spiral installed already in a machine and that you would go get it from bellingham and then you can see it opened by them and ready to go.. be a bully on this so that they have to show the company that we got a problem and it wont just be pushed under the rug from the higher ups..

Received another e-mail today. replacement foot sent, Replacement base on order arriving around end of Feb. Store gift certificate for a percentage of the value of the machine ( paint issue) and some touch up paint. So Ok some satisfaction and maybe not the best but I don't have the time to be running to Bellingham at this present time ( the reason that I ordered it delivered in the first place is the cost of the run). The part of the e-mail that got me was this. "Do you think you'll be able to safely use your machine until we can get you that replacement base?" I would have loved to say yes, but I said " As for the question if the machine can safely be run in this condition? I really have no idea. I guess this is a question that I should be asking you and your service team as I have not had this machine before and have no idea how it will operate with this broken cast base unit. It might operate just fine till the replacement part arrives or something could fly off I have no idea at present and maybe something I should think about before I turn it on. What does your team suggest? " I wanted to ask what they were prepared to do if the machine flew apart and injured someone or damaged something but thought it was better to end off on leaving it in their ball park and they can get back to me with the reply.

Larry I still want the spiral head but I don't want the crappy one that I think comes with the unit. I want the better one and by getting it separate then I know what I am getting. After this mess I don't think I would trust them to know the difference on what a better one looks like.

Last edited: