SketchUp Mouse Problem

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've had an ongoing issue with my mouse when using SketchUp. When I click the wheel button to use the Orbit feature, I get nothing. (It should behave as described here.) I have to either select the Orbit icon in the toolbar or press the O key to get this functionality. Once I'm in Orbit mode, the left mouse button works as expected. Then when done, I press the Space bar (or select another tool from the toolbar) to do other operations. This has been going on for a long time (about 2 years or more) and the problem has spanned two different computers and mice. My current machine is a year-old HP laptop running Windows 7 and a Logitech M305 mouse with the standard drivers it came with, so it's not like I'm using oddball hardware or software.

Any ideas for a fix? Has anyone else seen this problem?

I recently fixed this for dear old dad. the default Windows mouse driver wasn't operating the wheel button correctly when in SketchUp. Possibly other apps had problems but, many did not. In his case I installed the Logitec driver that came with the mouse and all was well. This was on XP. Windoze 7, same mouse, worked fine with the default driver.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'm running the Logitech drivers that came with the mouse, but I'll try re-installing them tonight and see if that gets me anywhere.

In my experience, Vaughn, the default Microsoft mouse driver has been better than the Logitech driver. I've used several Logitech mice but never installed the driver software. My suggestion would be to remove the Logitech driver, restart and try again. You could probably reassign the center mouse button to something else (what is its current assignment now?) and it may also work.

OK, I just installed the most recent drivers for the mouse, and no change. When I click and hold the scroll wheel button, I just get the magnifying glass icon with a plus sign in it, and the wheel performs the Zoom function. (Same as if I hadn't clicked the button at all.)

Dave, I'll give the Microsoft drivers a spin and see if that works. I'm curious to see if that affects the wireless capabilities of the mouse, since I'm using the Logitech Unifying Receiver -- a single USB mini-dongle for both mouse and keyboard.

I hope it doesn't affect the USB/wireless thingy. I have a wireless Logitech mouse that I use with my MacBook. I just plugged in the receiver and put a battery in the mouse and started using it. Although the package told me to install the driver I ignored it and it works just fine. I've used Logitech wireless meese on my PC but I prefer the feel of my 19.95 wired mouse on it. It's slightly larger than the tailess kind. ;)