Blade Welding???

Al Launier

Many years ago, when I served my T&D Makers apprenticeship, I learned how to weld bandsaw "snapped/broken" blades on one of my assignments. It was basically a simple cut-off tool, grinder & butt welder attached to the housing of a Do-All bandsaw. Seems like this might be useable accessory for repairs and/or for re-sizing 105" blades to 93 1/2".

As a point of curiosity, do any of you re-weld your blades? If so, what do you use?

Nope I find that my blades get dull a lot quicker than they are likely to break.

For metal working it might well be more worth is as you are
  • More likely to break the blade I suppose
  • possibly more likely to do inside cuts where breaking and then rewelding the blade inside the hole would be a nice feature

I could also perhaps see it being worth while if you did a LOT of bandsaw work and were really broke (had lots of time vs money) as bulk blade stock is much cheaper than pre-welded stock (and you don't need a fancy blade welder for wood blades).

The vintage machinery site has a pretty good howto on soldering blades http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/BandsawBladeSoldering.ashx

I admit to having been tempted by some craigslist band stock sales, not because it seemed practical but because I think it would be more fun :D

i am another who thinks you would be wasting your time Al, just buy them at the size you need and make saw dust:) you served your time welding now have fun in life:)