Where in the World is Family Woodworking

In the lumber section of a yard in San Marcos, CA.

WITWIFWW-Soroyan.JPG

Walnut is being bought "sight-unseen" en masse the price has been driven to over $9/bf with another price jump coming next week!!!

In the lumber section of a yard in San Marcos, CA.

View attachment 91680

Walnut is being bought "sight-unseen" en masse the price has been driven to over $9/bf with another price jump coming next week!!!

The East Coasters and Midwesterners don't know the struggles the SoCal guys have to go through to get decent wood, huh?

BTW, love the Imogen Heap quote in your sig line. :thumb:

Well Glenn you have taken me back several years, that road is a familiar nightmare for me. Some crazy Canadian drove me down that road all the way to Palm Dessert at high speed like a rally driver, of course in a rental car of all things. Never thought i would ever find that road again. Boy that Palm Dessert is a hot place, i cannot fathom why people would want to live there burnt under my feet walking around in that town.

Is it highway 10 that has all the wind generator farms on it ? Driving from Palm dessert back to L.A. there is a stretch that looks as if Aliens have landed on either side of the hills from the enormous numbers of wind generators there are in the area. Kind of like a scene from War of the Worlds if you do it at close to sunset and head west from Palm dessert. Hope i have the correct area.

Well Glenn you have taken me back several years, that road is a familiar nightmare for me. Some crazy Canadian drove me down that road all the way to Palm Dessert at high speed like a rally driver, of course in a rental car of all things. Never thought i would ever find that road again. Boy that Palm Dessert is a hot place, i cannot fathom why people would want to live there burnt under my feet walking around in that town.

Is it highway 10 that has all the wind generator farms on it ? Driving from Palm dessert back to L.A. there is a stretch that looks as if Aliens have landed on either side of the hills from the enormous numbers of wind generators there are in the area. Kind of like a scene from War of the Worlds if you do it at close to sunset and head west from Palm dessert. Hope i have the correct area.

Interstate 10 it is. The windmill farm is even bigger now and they have added solar panel spreads here and there. There are definitely a few large areas of land out in that area that could easily be used to film a sci-fi movie :). The desert basin in California is amazingly diverse in appearance, wildlife and so forth. The recent rains have the cholla and ocotillo cacti exploding with growth.

Big horn sheep wander around within view in the area of our tower but, steer clear of us humans by a 1000 yards or more as a rule. Visibility in that area is great and the distances can be deceiving; things seem "just over there" when they are actually a couple of miles away. The tower I'm on is on a rise adjacent to a gorge that drops nearly 8000 ft in elevation over a 10 mile section of its nearly 40 mile length . . . therefor called "Deep Canyon". Folks are so original :D:D:D

P.s. Its a dry heat :thumb:

Attachments

• ocotillo.jpg
    ocotillo.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Interstate 10 it is. The windmill farm is even bigger now and they have added solar panel spreads here and there. There are definitely a few large areas of land out in that area that could easily be used to film a sci-fi movie :). The desert basin in California is amazingly diverse in appearance, wildlife and so forth. Big horn sheep wander around within view in the area of our tower but, steer clear of us humans by a 1000 yards or more as a rule. Visibility in that area is great and the distances can be deceiving; things seem "just over there" when they are actually a couple of miles away. The tower I'm on is on a rise adjacent to a gorge that drops nearly 8000 ft in elevation over a 10 mile section of its nearly 40 mile length . . . therefor called "Deep Canyon". Folks are so original :D:D:D

P.s. Its a dry heat :thumb:

I lived/worked in the Lancaster/Palmdale area for a number of years. I never did, and still don't, buy that "dry heat" thing. :) I did always find it kind of funny, though, that every time we got more than the slightest sprinkle of rain, the valley would go into a complete panic, malls close, etc. If you didn't know it had just rained and you stepped outside, the first instinct for a lot of folks was to look for the leak. :D