How To Destroy Screw Heads And More

mike marvel

A tool used correctly is much more efficient, and produces good results. If one wants to totally demolish a phillips head when driving a screw, there are a few tips I can give from personal experience.

First, make sure your screw bit is well worn. A #1 bit used in a #2 head tears 'em up pretty good. Use the fastest speed your tool has. Second, manage to be off the line of the screw, that is maintain a slight angle to the screw. Third, try to have minimal pressure on the screw bit into the screw head. Fourth, after the screw has seated, leave the bit spinning in the head.

Other tips: Don't bother to take the time to drill any pilot holes. Having the screw split the wood is only a minor setback. Having the screw skip off the starting point will allow your bit to nicely plow into the wood and leave a distinct pattern of the bit. That could add a "design detail" to the woodwork.

Better than that, you could be lucky enough to have the bit skip off the screw and plunge directly into a portion of your hand causing you to bleed all over the work. It can leave a very nice looking pattern deep into the skin. Or, a bit driving into the nail can bring some interesting sounds similar to yelling. Most words at that time start with "F" or "S". Heck or gosh darn aren't usually uttered.

Another tip of the day: If you aren't one to wear eye protection, you'll be thrilled with this next procedure. Don't take the time to drill pilot holes when working above your head. Try to keep the screw on the cool magnetic bit/holder for overhead work, and manage to do it directly above your face. Try to hold several screws in the freehand while doing this so they can also fall onto your face.

For the muscle bound grip of steel craftsmen out there, holding heavy parts or ill fitted parts with one hand and driving screws with the other is a real time saver and proves clamps aren't really necessary.

It's not necessary to take the time to figure out what length screw should be used. Make sure it's a little long so it will poke through the other side giving maximum grip. You probably have a belt sander.

Make sure short screws keeps spinning when fully seated. This assures that they won't go any deeper. Countersinking may be a useless step. Having protruding screw heads are so much easier to find.

For maximum bodily injury, work so that the screw/driver is pointing at your face or body.

These are tips from a been there done that guy that should not be followed.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

lololol Mike! I hear ya!! Think we've all been there and it always occurs when it really counts the most and one is in a hurry. I managed to screw my index finger against a wall putting up handrail brackets with an 18v milwaukee left a very interesting pattern on the plaster in hemoglobin red and somehow a 2-1/2 inch screw found its way into my box of 2 inchers once and of course it reared its head as I was attaching a plastic laminate countertop. I felt it poke through into my thumb, stopped immediately and thinking I hit the reverse button on my drill proceeded to pull the trigger to back it out only to realize I had switched the drill from low to high speed.....
Things that make you go hmmmmmm... Tanks for bringing back those memories! :D

lololol Mike! I hear ya!! Think we've all been there and it always occurs when it really counts the most and one is in a hurry. I managed to screw my index finger against a wall putting up handrail brackets with an 18v milwaukee left a very interesting pattern on the plaster in hemoglobin red and somehow a 2-1/2 inch screw found its way into my box of 2 inchers once and of course it reared its head as I was attaching a plastic laminate countertop. I felt it poke through into my thumb, stopped immediately and thinking I hit the reverse button on my drill proceeded to pull the trigger to back it out only to realize I had switched the drill from low to high speed.....
Things that make you go hmmmmmm... Tanks for bringing back those memories! :D

Thanks for your response.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

That is hilarious. I just got in a new shipment of screws today, and I plan on using these tips asap!

I've plunged the bit into my hand more than once...on the same screw!:doh: First time bad words were said and the drill may have hit its head on the wall too:whistling:, but the second time I had to laugh and stop for the night. Still have two nice puncture scars to show off to the ladies too! :D

knock on green wood (two sharp raps to side of the head ) but so far, haven't suffered any body damage from doing most of the points listed... except I usually keep extra screws in my mouth instead of my non-drive hand...

When I was working saw a number of similar situations where the person (not me... but persons working for me) were using nail guns, usually with screw shank nails.... they hold the pieces being nailed together from the back side, their hand bracing the point of entry, then nailing their hand to the back side of the joint.... or if their hand is to the side, maybe hitting a knot in the wood, deflecting the nail into the offending hand... I learned a lot of Spanish curse words that way.

OK Guys you got me laughing hard...I think they call that sick humor.

Notice I said, "OK Guys." I did that because I did not see any feminine replies. Are they 1) Smarter than us males, 2)Less apt to advertise their errors, 3) More cautious, 4)Or ?

Enjoy,

JimB

Oh and don't forget all the different styles of Phillips head screws and the associated tips that only fit that specific screw properly! So if your trying to remove or insert a posi phillips screw make sure you use a regular Phillips bit. It'll look like you used a drill bit instead!:bang: