Thread: Turning Calipers 6" or 8"?

Turning Calipers 6" or 8"?

the Grizzly catalog showed up today and so far there's only one turning tool of interest (and within budget)... a set of three turning calipers either 6" or 8"... for $6 difference should I get the 8"?
    -Ned

In that case and IMHO...bigger is better as long as the stuff you turn dictates that size. Go for the 8.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Is the larger one apt to bump into things with the woodworking that you do? Sometimes a smaller screwdriver or pair of pliers works much better than a large one. Just a thought.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Jim, I was going to say the same thing...get 'em both Ned!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I would say it depends on your lathe and what you turn. If you have a 12" lathe then 6" would be the maximum needed and probably not that give the foot can't be measured. On the other hand if you have a 16"+ inch lathe or do deep hollow forms the 8" may be better.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

I'd say it depends what you're turning and what you want to measure. I use calipers to mark a bowl bottom before I make a tenon, but for wall thickness, I just use my fingers, especially on anything 12" or less in diameter. My fingers can measure as accurately as I can cut. (In other words, neither is exact, but both are plenty good enough.) I've got a set of Sorby calipers for measuring the inside of hollow forms, but they're not nearly as useful (or accurate) as I had hoped they would be. (I rely on the laser on my hollowing rig instead.)

In a nutshell, calipers aren't much help to me. A set of three would likely gather dust in my shop, with the exception of whichever one I used for marking tenons. (Mine have blunt rounded ends. I set them to the appropriate size for whatever chuck jaws I'm using, and then hold them carefully against the spinning wood to scribe a line. Then I cut my tenon to that line.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

At the moment I only have a Delta Midi, so what, 10" maximum diameter? I will be getting my shopsmith up north by the time the snow melts, which will get me a little larger potential workpiece size. I truly don't know whether or not I even Need them, but I've seen them used on the web here and there so they've been on my 'someday' tool list. Thanks guys, I think I'll be watching for a 'deal' at woodcraft or what not later in the year.
    -Ned

I should add that if you're turning boxes or spindle stuff, calipers can indeed be very useful. I tend to think in terms of larger bowls and hollow forms, and forget there's a lot of other turned stuff out there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I kinda agree with Vaughn, I have a set of calipers for measuring the wall thickness of a bowl, not sure where they are right now... I have a set of 6" that I use to measure length, diameter and such that I use regularly... but I really don't do much measuring ... I feel the wall thickness of a bowl with my fingers to determine it's thickness...I use a stick or tape measure to check the depth of a bowl or hollow form... I don't measure the tenon on the bottom of a bowl.... just turn it and measure by eye...looks close and if in doubt check it against the jaws of my chuck. Most of the measurements I to take are with a tape measure and lately with an old folding ruler that I keep in the cabinet drawer under the lathe.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.