Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacker news from Homeland security!

Hacker news from Homeland security!

Heard on the local news tonight that the Department of Homeland Security is warning everyone to disable Java in their web browser. It seems Hackers have found a flaw and are using it to get personal information.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Thanks Paul, found the link on the us-cert site too.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA13-010A.html

There is a list of how-to disable in this doc for various browsers.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...-java-browser/

Can also go to Start>>Control Panel>>Java, then go to the security tab and uncheck the option to enable it in browsers, save, and restart your browsers to take effect. If you don't see the java option, click in the search box and type Java and it should come up if you have it installed, if not you've got nothing to worry about.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yup heard about it and took the neccessary action pretty quick. Poor Oracle. To get singles out like this. There has been security flaws in every bit of software written. They get fixed by patches but my concern here would be the way this has been sold through the media that many will not bother to dig and read through the detail, it will be either do nothing or dump the whole lot. Sad I wonder why it had to go this way but i aint spending more time on checking why?

The stakes are really getting high in a corporation when it comes to a mistake. Punishing mistakes leads to a total lack of innovation. Thats my argument and i am sticking to it.
    cheers

Java was born with flaws. We even make purchase decisions on software at work based on whether java is required or not. Oops, sorry, knee-jerk reaction . Seriously, I only enable it as required and then disable it. I choose very carefully if what I want to do is worth turning it on. Sorry Java; not picking on you. You are not alone in this respect when it comes to my computing habits.

If you just keep this simple phrase in mind all your computing days will be filled with joy: "The internet is not an amusement park, it is the gateway to Cocytus, the ninth circle of HELL". Have fun.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Could this explain why I had a bad computer virus last summer and had to have my hard drive reformatted and why I had unauthorized charges on my debit card, this last month? Had to get a new debit card. I noticed $30 worth of unauthorized charges on 12/26 and immediately notified the bank. Got a new card. Since than the back has told me there have been over $2000 worth of charges attempted against my old care.
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Could this explain why I had a bad computer virus last summer and had to have my hard drive reformatted and why I had unauthorized charges on my debit card, this last month? Had to get a new debit card. I noticed $30 worth of unauthorized charges on 12/26 and immediately notified the bank. Got a new card. Since than the back has told me there have been over $2000 worth of charges attempted against my old care.
    It's possible, but almost wish the odds of winning the lottery was as good of chances of getting a virus or malware.

Always have to ask yourself what else are you doing to protect your computer? What virus software and malware protection are you running? What are your habits in regards to opening emails from folks you don't know or opening unexpected attachments from anyone? Do you play games on social sites, like fb or google+?

I also keep a separate free bank account with it's own debit card for internet purchases. At least if it gets hit, it will minimize the amount they can take and always have the dispute process to get that back.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

You are correct Darren, I really think I got the virus from a game my Grandson down loaded when he was visiting. I don't do games. On advice from my bank I don't purchase on the internet with my debit card any more. I use a credit card so they don't have access to my bank account.

I did get credit for the unauthorized purchases, it just was an inconvenience.
    "We the People ......"

If I disable java then I can't even access videos posted on here or other woodworking sites that were originally posted on YouTube. Is there another program that will let me do that?

I removed java and I can. I don't even know what java did.
    "We the People ......"