Worthless wood pen!

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
View attachment 73083

A friend of mine collects small pieces of burl which really can't be used for much. He puts the worthless wood pieces in a mould and casts them with different coloured acrylics.

This is the pen after the worthless wood has been turned. It's a Cigar Ballpoint pen plated in Black Titanium.

I finished it with 6 coats of thin CA, followed with 6 coats of med. CA, allowing the blank to sit overnight. I sanded it back very gently with 0000 steel wool in the am, and buffed it with my 2 wheel string buffer.

View attachment 73087

Worthless wood pen blanks are beauties. Some discussion on IPA forum about the name being copyrighted and not allowed by others who make the blanks and sell them. I guess anyone can make them and sell them but can-NOT call them worthless wood blanks... not sure where I stand on this being the worthless person I am.

Worthless wood pen blanks are beauties. Some discussion on IPA forum about the name being copyrighted and not allowed by others who make the blanks and sell them. I guess anyone can make them and sell them but can-NOT call them worthless wood blanks... not sure where I stand on this being the worthless person I am.
Hi Paul; Can't say that I've seen that discussion on IAP. That's not to say it wasn't there.

My friend (Bellsy) that does the casting calls them Fusion Blanks. I like the word "worthless" at least when describing them to my customers. They seem to understand it easier!

Sorry I missed this one Mack!! That red/yellow'ish combo is hard to beat. Regardless of the name, these are fun to cast. I've only cast 4, but if I can get home for a couple days...they'll pop like biscuits! There is a 12x12x12 box in the shop full of stuff ready to cast.