milled another spalted maple

This is that big crotch piece I had laying by the mill when you were here Larry. I'll not be getting any feather from this one. I've found metal with the detector in two places. I'm trying to decide on how to work around it and mill the rest of the cant. This one has had some really nice figure. I had to do some serious chainsaw work to get this puppy on the mill. It was 47" of the crotch end and 37" on the other. I've got some better bookmatched slabs that I didn't get pics of because it was getting dark and starting to rain.
big spalted crotch (1).jpgbig spalted crotch (2).jpgbig spalted crotch (3).jpgbig spalted crotch (4).jpgbig spalted crotch (5).jpgbig spalted crotch (6).jpgbig spalted crotch (8).jpg

Nice wood!

Which metal detector do you have? I have one of the cheaper HF specials but its somewhat problematic on the detection part :rolleyes:

I have the older version of this one. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003820/35513/lumber-wizard-40-metal-detector-with-laser-light.aspx

It's good down to about 3/4 - 1 inch depending on the species. It's more than paid for itself with saved bands. At around 25 bucks a pop it doesn't take many trashed bands to pay for one. When I got mine it was around 100 dollars.