Site outage, members may need to take action!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
The new hosting plan allows for a dedicated IP, so will be enabling that option as we won't have to share it with other websites and gain us some bandwidth. This can cause a 6 - 24 hour outage for some users as the new IP has to propagate through out the world and it will take some users host DNS servers longer to update than others.

For those savvy enough with their computers, and you aren't able to get to FWW, you can flush your local DNS entries to speed up the process.

To do so:

http://www.techiecorner.com/35/how-t...x-windows-mac/

** For windows users, you may need to run the command window as an administrator. If you click the start button, click in the search box and type "cmd", the search should find the "cmd.exe" program, right click it, click "Run as Administrator", and then run the commands in the link above for Windows.

I'll be making the change around midnight (CST) tonight, so please bookmark the link above as you may not be able to get back to our site to find the instructions later. The update will eventually make it to your ISP's DNS Server, but doing the above linked process can speed that process by hours. Again, i
f you can get to the FWW site, you won't need to take any action.

Darren, if you know the new IP address, post it now.

Flushing your DNS entries will allow you to access the new IP address more quickly after it has been propagated to your local DNS server, but it won't make the propagation any faster. If you cannot get in because the new address has not made it to your end of the world, you CAN get in by entering the new IP address directly.

You can also put up a one-page web site with the new IP address at the old IP address, with automatic forwarding to the new IP address.

Darren, if you know the new IP address, post it now.

Flushing your DNS entries will allow you to access the new IP address more quickly after it has been propagated to your local DNS server, but it won't make the propagation any faster. If you cannot get in because the new address has not made it to your end of the world, you CAN get in by entering the new IP address directly.

You can also put up a one-page web site with the new IP address at the old IP address, with automatic forwarding to the new IP address.

You're correct, it's also in the event the user's pc has it cached and isn't bothering to check with the ISP's DNS server for the new IP.

As for the new IP, I'm not sure what it will be until I go through the update process at bluehost. I'm not sure if they will show it until I've already done the update. Hopefully it will only be a few hours, they seem to propagate faster than they used to.

How about anyone that isn't able to get in by morning, email the webmaster@familywoodworking.org account and we'll respond with the IP, though please check to see that the site is up or try the flushdns option before asking. :wave: Accessing via the IP isn't ideal since vbulletin bases it's cookies on the server/domain name, really not sure how it will work to be honest.

Last edited:
Ever since the update I have been getting 404 errors on the quick links on the pages. For instance if I clicked New Posts and then when done if I click Mark forums read I get a 404 with this info /~familyw1/forums/forum.php

A number of other links also give the same error. Any way to fix that?

Ever since the update I have been getting 404 errors on the quick links on the pages. For instance if I clicked New Posts and then when done if I click Mark forums read I get a 404 with this info /~familyw1/forums/forum.php

A number of other links also give the same error. Any way to fix that?

Jim,

Sorry to see you're having issues, but can't reproduce them myself. What browser are you using? What version? (click Help>>About in the browser). Also what URL are you going to for family woodworking? (I assume http://familywoodworking.org but want to make sure as we do have a couple of other domains that aren't used.)

Darren

If those URLs are sending a 302 redirect (or used to), he'll need to flush his cache on his browser - firefox is stubborn about caching redirect destinations :)