veneer supply question ?

jim capozzi

hi all

ok for those of you who use veneers, is there anywhere special you order from ? i have found lots of fancy veneers , but what i am looking for is some plain stuff to use on the underside to keep things even .. everybody and thier brother talks up the fancy stuff, where do you find your plain stuff for backs and underneath where it won't be seen ? TIA

If you don't care what veneer you use, look for sales. There's always some leftover veneer going on sale somewhere - usually something that couldn't be sold or maybe is not consecutive. If there's a shop that does veneer work in your area, stop by and ask to buy any leftover veneer they have. They always buy more veneer than they need for a job because you can't risk being short. And sometimes they buy veneer that just doesn't sell.

eBay sells veneer for reasonable prices but the shipping charges make it expensive in small quantities.

But the best thing is to plan for both sides when you order your veneer. Where ever you buy your show veneer, ask them for some decent quality veneer for the non-show face

Once you do some amount of veneer work, you'll have a bunch of odds and ends that you'll wonder where to store - it seems to multiply like rabbits.

Mike

jim, i buy most of my veneer from certainly wood.....if i need backer veneer i just order some poplar it`s cheap..tod

hi gang

well tod you were right :D certainly wood is the place to go for veneer of all kinds !! i found a deal on red gum ,20cents a sq/ft. so i ordered 50sqft to start and it arrived today ! the customer service and sales depts are just great and dont mind answering lotsa questions from a beginner !! that goes a long way in my book , and i will definetly be ordering from them again soon (i saw some fantastic burls) ......weeeeeeeeeeeeeee here we go again :D thanks for the help grizzly

p.s. when you unwrap your veneer stand back a little! it came rolled up in the box and i got my hat slapped off my head for being too close when i took the paper off

Last edited: