Has anyone here made a pocket knife from a kit?

Tom Baugues

I have never owned a real nice pocket knife. I carry a pocket knife all day while at work but is one made of metal. I would like to have one where the handle is made of some kind of real nice exotic wood to carry when I'm not working. Has anyone bought a kit? Where and what kind?

Nope i broke tradition in our house when i did not carry a pocket knife. But with doing a great deal of air travel its just not practical anymore to do so. Got the hanky though and seldom will you find me without it. :)

I've done a couple, will have to do some searching to see where I ordered them from. To be honest, they were pretty much a knife that came with finished scales, I had planned to make the scales, but the ones I got were nicer than what I would have made.

I found the receipt from 2007 in my archive. I ordered my blades from NorthCoast Knives, but projects were mainly trout and chef knives, just happened to get a folder on sale. Though the site is a little hard to navigate, he's got some good tutorials and knife making info, as well as decent pricing. The only folding knives I saw were on blade page 9 (http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_Blades9.htm)

I've since owned a few other knives and I wouldn't say that that one was a favorite, it was a bit hard to open. My daily carry knife now is a Kershaw, mostly as it's easy to open, just a flick of my finger.

Texas Knife Supply is the other site I had bookmarked, has a little better selection for folders:

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=119_141

I've built a few kitchen and fishing knives from Texas Knife Supply, and I was very happy with their blades. Properly sharpened, their cryo blades are comparable to my best kitchen knives (Wusthoff and Global). I'd expect their pocket knife kits to be nice.

I'm not a 'knife' person normally, but the little pocket knife I got for christmas sure has me thinking about another one. I'll check out Texas Knife and see what they offer.
knife back.jpg

Lori has already learned to check the pockets of my firehose jeans for the knife.

I really like the scales on this one, thinking of replacing them at some point though, as they're not quite the same thickness, and that bugs me. pretty burl though.

Nope i broke tradition in our house when i did not carry a pocket knife. But with doing a great deal of air travel its just not practical anymore to do so. Got the hanky though and seldom will you find me without it. :)

What kind of wood is that hanky made from??:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: