Table fix in future?

larry merlau

well here is what i got handed to me and now i need a part, the slide support is missing on the one side, any ideas where to get another? also i can either put it all back together or make the pieces and let the home owner do it,, its gonna get painted again.. so dave whats your take on this its a older drop leaf table that used to slide apart but the mechanism for that is gone and they dont want it to do it again,, happy to just have it scabbed on the back of the aprons.. these folks like the shabby type decor ..

table fix pics 001.jpg this is the hardware piece i need, it appears to be cast. any ideas where i can get one?

table fix pics 005.jpg table fix pics 002.jpg the old style of pocket holes and some glue blocks for bracing

table fix pics 003.jpg table fix pics 004.jpg tenons loose and boards missing and need to be profiled..

so would do it all or let them have at it for part of it?

Looks like Darren has solved your hardware problem.

You're making a new top, right?

I think I'd make new front & rear apron pieces, rather than try to join (and re-attach) the old ones.

Who's doing the painting - you, or the client? Stripping and sanding that ols finish won't be fun. Watch out for lead-based paint, too!

Will you be doing anything with those old rusty casters?

well jim, this client is gonna do the painting, and as for the casters could use one more,, you sound like you were interested in them:) as for the new top i am just gonna add wood where its missing this lady likes old beat up furniture.. paints it and uses it or sells it to another. if it were mine i would get the slide mechanism and make it work like it used to..but they dont want the leaves just a narrow closed type table. as for the lead i know about that been threw the course:)

well jim, this client is gonna do the painting, and as for the casters could use one more,, you sound like you were interested in them:) as for the new top i am just gonna add wood where its missing this lady likes old beat up furniture.. paints it and uses it or sells it to another. if it were mine i would get the slide mechanism and make it work like it used to..but they dont want the leaves just a narrow closed type table. as for the lead i know about that been threw the course:)

I kinda like repairing/reclaiming old stuff like this. It's kinda fun to bring it back from the dead, so to speak. That one looks like it might be more work than it's worth, though.

so far its just a few boards and hardware i am not gonna get to into it because the paycheck wont be there i dont think.. as for the table profile i can get close with one bit i dont have, looked at it as doing it in two passes, will get a close up of the profile later but any ideas on how to match it is real similar in shape to a whiteside bit number 3228..

well its done and ready for the paint and a sander afterwards to make it look older:) they didnt want anything glued together on the top wanted it to look wore out..so we laid out the top and used a slat underneath to hold the top together, then figured out the ellipse for the pieces that needed to be replaced and cut to size, then took a bowl bit to make one cut and a cove and bead to make the rest of it then had to form it from there with a rasp and sanding. came out pretty close and the hardware darren linked me to worked just fine for the missing support. so another project is out the door and on the the next one:)
french table 003.jpgfrench table 001.jpgfrench table 002.jpg

Very good job old boy. What a pity your good workmanship is gonna get painted. Customer should be delighted with that job. I can see you doing more of this. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good! Did you buy new drop leaf hardware, or 'improvise?'

yeah, i bought the one darren linked to from the architectural place, it was better price but the other one i think was a better product. the one i got was a poor reproduction but will work i had to file it to make it work smoothly.. the other one looks like original stock.. i had to remake the rule joint on the one piece and its not the normal setup, so had to come up with a two step process on that as well.. but it works well now and i am sure they will be pleased..

well it left today and i got $70 dollars donated for fixun it:) so that will help pay the light bill:) they were elated with it. and i will get some free advertizing on her blog and maybe a link to facebook to get her followers a look at what else i have done:)

No need to tell you that you did a bang up job, but I'll say it anyway, "You did a bang up job Larry!" :thumb:

They had better be impressed with your work, and for $70, wow, what a deal for them.
Glad you got some money out of it, and I hope you get some more work out of it too!

Cheers!