Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next project... A hutch repair

My next project... A hutch repair

Hi folks,
    I'm in the middle of two other projects right now. But I was out and about today and saw a hutch sitting by the curb because it was trash day. I stopped and took a look and found a couple minor problems, but this is a beautiful piece. All of the doors are bent wood and even the glass is curved and beveled! It was dark by the time I got home so I just unloaded the doors. I've got to round up some help to unload the base and top section and get it into the shop so I can start the repairs. Here are some pics of the doors. I'll post some pics of the other pieces when I get them into the shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doors1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	73154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doors2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	73155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doors3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	73156
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

That sure looks like a good 'find' to me! All I ever see by the side of the road is particle board junk.

I wanna see pics of the rest of it, when you get it unloaded.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Will do. It's a good thing we had that heat wave last weekend. The snow is gone and it got cold again to refreeze the ground. Now I can just drive my trailer around the back and unload it straight into the basement. There's no way I'd want to schlep the two big pieces up and down the stairs!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

I'm SO bummed!

I just finished bringing the hutch base and top into the shop. It wasn't until I had it into the shop that I realized why they probably pitched it. There's a set of doors on the middle section of the base unit and one of them is missing. I know that I didn't leave it behind but it's not here. One good thing is that I know the people that threw it out. I believe the father passed away some time in the last couple years and the son is just cleaning out the house. I'm going to try to contact him and see if he knows where the door may be. If it's gone, I'm still going to make the minor repairs to the rest of the unit and just remove the other door. It might work fine without it. Or possibly I could make a new set of doors to cover the center section. Oh well, I love a challenge! Here is what the rest of the unit looks like.

Name:	Hutch base.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	73161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hutch top.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	73162

I'd say pull the hinges, patch the holes and call it good! Looks like it could work without them to me...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That's what I'm thinking Brent.

Yeah, I agree with Brent. That base will look fine with open shelves.

How ornate are (were) the lower doors? You might even be able to build a new pair.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

No worries, I FOUND IT!

Went out to the trailer and found that it was the first piece I'd put in there when loading up. I had covered it with a drop cloth to keep it from getting damaged. We're good to go!

I've already started on some of the minor repairs and hop to have it back in good shape soon.

And now the fun begins.

I think I need three hinges. I'm sure won't be able to find a match, but I'll be happy to find a three sets that will at least work. I'm off to Google as soon as I submit this post. Here's what they looks like. Any ideas for a source? I've got a couple, but maybe someone out there has an idea. Thanks so much in advance!

Name:	hinge1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	73178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinge2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	73180