Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRR-Ripper

GRR-Ripper

My Grr-ripper no longer grips.. the green pads are slick-hard looks like they have been varnished. Looking at the support area on the company web site- it says to clean with DNA and if that does not fix it then buy new legs. the leg kit is over $30.00 - does anyone have a better fix? I took one green pad and tried to lightly sand to rough up the surface-- did not work. Its too cold in the shop anyway and I am to lazy to build a fire in the wood stove.

I have googled the problem with no help!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

have you tried the DNA paul,, we used to use that on rubber rollers that were on folders to make them grip paper better worked well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

+1 on cleaning with DNA. It worked on my gripper and the push pads for the jointer.

If the DNA didn't work, try acetone, toluene, or MEK. All are flammable - or worse - so safety precautions apply!

I've been able to save - or at least prolong the life of - several rubber-based rollers and non-skid items using these. Typewriter repairmen (now a lost art, I fear) used to use Trichloroethane for softening the rollers, but that (highly toxic) stuff isn't readily available any more.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    My Grr-ripper no longer grips.. the green pads are slick-hard looks like they have been varnished. Looking at the support area on the company web site- it says to clean with DNA and if that does not fix it then buy new legs. the leg kit is over $30.00 - does anyone have a better fix? I took one green pad and tried to lightly sand to rough up the surface-- did not work. Its too cold in the shop anyway and I am to lazy to build a fire in the wood stove.

I have googled the problem with no help!
    Cold in the shop... did this problem get worse when the cold set in? Rubber gets harder and less grippy when it's cold. It may not be a dirt problem, it may be a physical problem. Bring it into the house overnight, then take it out to the shop for a test the next morning.

DNA is all I've ever had to use on mine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

If the DNA trick fails you might be able to scrape the pad off and use something like a board deck pad for making replacement pad.
    http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/p...&idproduct=188
    A fellow I know in hood river gifted me some for use as a gription surface on various shop jigs and it works really nice. "flat brushed" and "single density" with the "peal and stick" are what I think you want, each of those should be good for > 1 set of gripper pads.

These are good suggestions - I did try isopropyl alcohol and it did not help.. I will bring them in today because the cold is cold...
    Thanks -- I did not or could not pop for the $30.00 right now..

paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

I've used old mouse pads before to provide a grip. Maybe you could find one of those to cut up and experiment with?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Hi,

When I was in Junior High School I worked in an office machine store. I repaired typewriters. When doing overhauls on typewriters we used DNA. With the platen (thing that the paper rolled around to be typed upon) we took Wet or Dry (don't remember grit) poured on some DNA and wrapped our hand around that and the platen and "sanded" away. The bail rollers (small rollers that kept paper pressure against the platen) we did essentially the same thing in miniature. The surfaces of these pieces had to have friction or the typing paper would not go through the machine properly.

It was amazing to me that a "hard-as-a-rock" platen could be turned into a platen that worked very well. Each year we serviced several hundred typewriters used in the local High School. I will tell you, after doing that process to several hundred platens, you would know you did something.

I was a very scrawny, wiry, small kid. Can't you just picture me carrying four typewriters at a time? A Royal hooked on each bony hip and the cross bar on an Underwood in each hand for each trip up or down the stairs (no elevators in the school buildings back then).

Ah yes, nostalgia.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER