revamp

neil mackay

Over Christmas I set out to revamp my small shop and get it in better shape. The weather turned hot and made it a major hassle 100+ for a few days and today 115+.
I have had to split it into two, one for wood turning and the side for engineering, tool making and lathe building etc, hence the racking jutting out half way down the shop

A couple of before shots "lathe, woodenpotter shots. Motor 1,2,3 shots are the progress, I ve just finished the new racking and it pretty well holds my entire stash at present

Attachments

• lathe 001.jpg
    lathe 001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 149
  • wooden potter 002.jpg
    wooden potter 002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 135
  • motor 001.jpg
    motor 001.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 135
  • motor 002.jpg
    motor 002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 130
  • motor 003.jpg
    motor 003.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 127
Looks real nice, Neil. You've got a nice stash of timber on the racking, too. :thumb: I'll bet at those temps, that steel building feels like an oven. (I could have used some of that heat earlier this week. I think yesterday was the first day we got above freezing here.)

It was a bit hot http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-gauge-hits-46c/story-e6frg6nf-1226557056497 . But a necessary revamp instead of running power out of the house via an extension lead I now have power wired in and about dozen outlets.All 240v single phase with electronic variable three phase on the lathes Still a fair way to go.As I have to bring my metal lathe down form the garage and build stands for two wood lathes.
Heat and blanks, I have taken to placing a bucket on the shop floor full of water to try and counter the very dry conditions. A lot of my stash is highly figured, burls and desert timbers and some of it has opened up. But thats the effect of a tin shop and I choose sky light to give max wall space, but it does add some heat to the space.
So later on I will have a low rpm high volume extraction fan fitted to opposite end on the entry door. It'll give me some air flow and clean the atmosphere in there as well.

I was glad to see a well used shop and clutter as in the first shots.... makes me feel better about my shop. Mine is a tin building also... no skylites though, had to go with 6 4' florescent s to try and light it some, plus I have two windows on the east side of the building... wish now I had spaced them better when it was built... could get more air flow.... fortunately TN doesn't get your summer temps, so I can run a couple of box fans to stir the air some... also moved my lathe to the doorway, so in summer can open both doors - I have a 6' door way with two doors, so I can open up for air... it's not insulated and the roofing is corrugated tin and lays on the headers leaving the air space under the corrugation ridges, so I do get air there... okay in summer, a little chilly in winter.

I like the way you're laid out... looks pretty neat and compact.