Tail vise or not tail vise??

Hi there.

I'm thinking about building a second workbench now that I have more room.

I've got a brand new record type vise and I'm toying with the idea of building a new bench but I'm hesitating about fitting a proper tail vise as well, or just another record vise.

Any good or bad experiences regarding this matter that may help me to make up my mind?
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Toni,

I have a tail vise made by Veritas in Canada. You can see my post of the installed vise here
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1960
I like the vise very much but really there are so many alternative methods of holding your wood down you should have a look at other methods as well. Fine Woodworking (#139) did an article a while back that utilized pipe clamps. You can see that article here but you may need their online membership to view it.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignPDF.aspx?id=2625
I mention this because while I like a traditional style bench I really like the practicality of this bench.

Hi Alex.

Thanks for your suggestion, what would you say comparing your veritas vise vs. the traditional "L" shaped tail vise.?

I know that the traditional "L" one is harder to make and install, but once mounted what would you think looking only at the use you make of it?

What would be ( from your point of view) the difference between this veritas vise and just fitting another record type vise at the right end of the bench?.

My concern is basically that I do not want to make a new bench to find afterwards that it is not quite what I wanted/needed.

Toni -
A recent review of work benches in one of the ww mags loved the Lie-Nielson workbench. In particular, it liked the action on the tail vise. Later I discovered that they also sell the tail vise hardware seperately. It is a bit expensive, but it is on my list as the next bench upgrade I make.
Let us know which way you go, and show us some in-process pics.

Hi Jay.
Thanks, for your comments, I didn't know that LN sold vise hardware, I'll check for it on their web.
However, I'll try to find a European supplier, sending such heavy equipment from US to Spain piles up on the final price not to mention the possible custom taxes, making it too expensive.

Of course, I'll post my progress with it, there are so many things I have to post about...:) My new workshop, my new bandsaw and jointer/thicnesser and my new (under planification) bench. So I hope not to bore you all with this.

All I can comment on is what I have. A small Columbia vice with a block of wood and bench dog in it. But I use the heck out of this thing! I am always clamping something on the bench with it. Either between the jaws or a between the dogs.

Never used what I think you are talking about. Never used a twin vice either but I am sure they are both nice. But I haven't had a time when I said, "Dang, wish a had a twin vice" either. :dunno:

And before you ask. Yes I love the leg vice. It get used a lot too.

Bench2.JPG

Jeff

Hi Toni, lots of people building new workbenches these days. I built one a few years ago that has both an end vice (single screw large Veritas) as well as a record-style side vice, and expect that one day will add a leg vice as well. Each vice offers me a different functionality and adds to the efficiency for the type of woodworking I attempt.
The double screw end vice (which is a little longer than my single screw) is good for clamping between its jaws, but also offers quite wide clamping for large casework and such using bench dogs etc placed within the field of your bench. It is very worthwhile if you intend to use your bench for assembly work and glue-ups etc of larger sized projects.
I tend to use my side vice most often because it is more conveniently located (in my shop layout), is smaller and more utilitarian. From time to time when I want to secure a longer board, the leg vice would be handy.
I think to a great degree which vice is right for you depends on the type of work operations you plan to use the bench for.

Jeff, Rick thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate them very much.

Frank, this is what I understand by a tail vise,(see picture) I do not know if this is its proper name, (BTW the picture is not my bench).

I've read that some woodworkers almost prohibite to clamp on the short leg of the "L" shaped piece due to the leverage force that it exerts on the hardware, while some others do it without any concern.

Attachments

• tail vise.jpg
    tail vise.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 33
Toni, obviously I have never used one. But as much as I use the dogs in my bench I think that the tail vice in your photo would be nice addition. I see a lot of ways to clamp parts with it.

Ola Tony, I have two benches also and find that I really like the tail vice. Even though the bench with the tail vice is old I still go to it quite a bit.

wRestore8_20060104.jpg

More pics here.

Frank, this is what I understand by a tail vise,(see picture) I do not know if this is its proper name, (BTW the picture is not my bench).
Yes Toni, that is what is properly called a tail vice and it is different than an end vice (such as the Veritas twin screw vice).

I have a tail vice in a Swedish made bench that I have owned for about 35 years and I quite like it. However, that bench is too light so I am building a new one. I have decided that, although I would prefer a tail vice to an end vice, that the extra work to build a tail vice is not worth it to me. So, I will install the same single screw end vice that Rich Thom has on his bench.

I've read that some woodworkers almost prohibite to clamp on the short leg of the "L" shaped piece due to the leverage force that it exerts on the hardware, while some others do it without any concern.

Now I know. Thanks. Looks like it would be very useful for tall items, like doors.

tail vise

I'm constructing a large workbench right now. I bought the vise hardware sold by Lee Valley (Veritas). For one year, I have looked over plans for workbenches purchased from WoodCraft. These are 15 years old plans and are no longer sold. My friend made that bench before he gave me the plans.

Because the tail vise isn't explained well, I bought these three magazines with wonderful explanations of benches/tail vise hardware:

Fine Woodworking - issue 162/April 2003
Fine Woodworking - Tools & Shops Annual Issue Winter 2003
Woodworker's Journal - Winter 2007

The issue 162 of FWW has a great explanation of the Tail Vise, but overall, I like the bench in the Tools & Shops issue and am modifying my plans to use their ideas.

From all that I've read and heard, the tail vise is the tricky part of building a bench. The mechanism sold by Lee Valley comes from Eastern Europe. Dieter Schmidt (in Germany and on the web under his name) makes even better hardware for not a lot of money. I haven't seen the one made by Lie Nielsen, but their standards are very high.

I believe that the way you assemble the Tail Vise determines how good (or bad) it performs.

Good luck to you.

Gary Curtis
north of San Francisco