Disk Sanders, (moved from Woodturning)

Mike Jory

Robert, Vaughn;

Thanks for the suggestion. I now have "tool-gotta-have-itis." :D

A 12" disk certainly seems a more suited to a lot of tasks than a smaller disk.
In my shopping, I see that Jet makes a combo 12" disk/6" belt unit with a little bigger motor, on a stand.
Robert and Vaughn, everyone who owns a disk sander; with a 12" disk, is there any advantage to also having another 90 degree flat surface on a belt, that can go vertical or hortizontal?

I thought I might afford the disk only unit until I saw this one. For nearly a thousand dollars it should pour the coffee and butter my toast.
I'm going to move this thread from Woodturning to the New Tools section.
Thanks, Mike

Robert, Vaughn
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.? Is he still around? :rofl:

seriously - I have this one and find it meets all my needs - and the price was right too!:thumb: I mounted it on a roll around stand and tuck it into a corner when not in use.
Zoom50-120.jpg

Don, that's a great idea. When I see something like that I say to myself, "I know I could make something like that." I'll keep a lookout for a motor.

Rennie;
"Robert Vaughn", I forgot about him. As soon as I saw that name, I thought of Steve McQueen in Bullit. I've seen that Rikon sander, but was worried that it didn't appear very robust over time, and wondered weather the small size was a limiting factor at all?
I see where General has a machine like the Jet, but a little less $$

Thanks for the ideas, Mike