Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Micro Jig GRR-Ripper. Anyone use one?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    940

    Question Micro Jig GRR-Ripper. Anyone use one?

    Woodcraft has had the Micro Jig GRR-Ripper on sale for about a month. It's $10 off and selling for $69.99 and they'll inlclude a free handle bridge kit ($15 value). I don't know exactly what the "handle bridge" is, but maybe it will be useful.

    I spent some time at Woodcraft yesterday looking around and dreaming. (fondling a beautiful new TS that's just not in the budget right now ) They had a video running about the GRR-Ripper and it looks pretty nice and I could really use it. Has anyone here ever used one? If so, how did you like it? It looks like a very nice system and it would be useful for me because lately I've been having to cut some edge banding and end up having to rip it thicker than needed and run it through the planer a few times to get it down to 1/8. It looks like with this thing, I could cut cut it just a touch thicker than 1/8 and one light pass through the planer to clean it up and I'd be good to go.

    Here's a link...

    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...del-GR200.aspx
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pollman View Post
    Woodcraft has had the Micro Jig GRR-Ripper on sale for about a month. It's $10 off and selling for $69.99 and they'll inlclude a free handle bridge kit ($15 value). I don't know exactly what the "handle bridge" is, but maybe it will be useful.

    I spent some time at Woodcraft yesterday looking around and dreaming. (fondling a beautiful new TS that's just not in the budget right now ) They had a video running about the GRR-Ripper and it looks pretty nice and I could really use it. Has anyone here ever used one? If so, how did you like it? It looks like a very nice system and it would be useful for me because lately I've been having to cut some edge banding and end up having to rip it thicker than needed and run it through the planer a few times to get it down to 1/8. It looks like with this thing, I could cut cut it just a touch thicker than 1/8 and one light pass through the planer to clean it up and I'd be good to go.

    Here's a link...

    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...del-GR200.aspx
    I have 4 of them! The instructions show a way to modify them for different widths of wood.

    The instructions are also very specific about not to be used for ripping a strip less than 1/4" in thickness.

    For ripping strips less than 1/4" th. I prefer to rip on the outside of the board, rather than btwn the fence and the saw blade.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

    If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!


    I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Claus, In
    Posts
    4,779
    Another user. Great accessory to have. Once you figure out it's many uses and how they can help you, you will wonder how you got along with out it.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

    Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

  4. #4
    I have and use two of them -- working to revive the stickiness of the base so it will allow the board to be pushed not just slip. I feel much safer when using them.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    940
    Thanks guys!

    It's definitely on the "to buy" list when money is available. $70 isn't that much, but right now things are really tight. When it loosens up a bit, I'm going to pick one up. Oh yeah, here's the TS that I was drooling over...

    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...ing-knife.aspx
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    I have and use two of them -- working to revive the stickiness of the base so it will allow the board to be pushed not just slip. I feel much safer when using them.

    Paul,
    I took one out of the box and looked at it. I would think that if the pushing pad gets loaded up with sawdust/debris and the stickiness goes away and becomes an issue, you could probably just wash it off with some hot soapy water and it would revive it. I could be wrong though.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    S E Washington State
    Posts
    3,777
    have one and use it a lot. Would like to get a second one. I guess the only down side of them is the setup time, especially if changing sides of the leg. But that set up time also forces a little time for thinking about what I am doing and how.
    "We the People ......"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Posts
    9,076
    I have two and would immediately get them again if they somehow vanished. I have the extra stand-offs, legs and so forth that have been picked up along the way when found at a good price point. I do not have the handle bridge but, I do cock the handle at an angle to make it more comfortable for me. I also don't have clear guard as I have machine guards in place for those maneuvers but, they seem like a good idea.

    My initial reaction was like most folks, I think; $50 for a push block!?! Turns out they are so much more than a push block ;-) I did a search here using advanced search in the format 'ripper site:familywoodworking.org' and got 165 hits about Grr-Rippers including my shop made stop hooks. if you want more info.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    I have and use two of them -- ...I feel much safer when using them.
    Yup! I use mine a lot. The accessory narrow (3/16" ?) leg is very useful, too.

    Not too long after I got mine, I managed to cut into one of the original legs on one of mine. Gotta be careful when adjusting them...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Not too long after I got mine, I managed to cut into one of the original legs on one of mine. Gotta be careful when adjusting them...
    Good to know I'm not the only one...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


Similar Threads

  1. GRR-Ripper
    By Paul Gallian in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
  2. Grr-Ripper and MJ Splitter
    By glenn bradley in forum Jigs and Fixtures
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM
  3. Grr-Ripper for sale
    By Joe McMahon in forum Old Ads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
  4. G-ripper project
    By Ned Bulken in forum Flatwork Project Showcase
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM
  5. Common Use for a Grr-Ripper
    By glenn bradley in forum Jigs and Fixtures
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •