More Doodling

Dave Richards

When we were going through my dad's stuff after he passed away I found a couple of issues of American Woodworker from their black and white days (when it was still a high quality magazine) In one of them there is an article about how to build this locomotive for your favorite toddler. I've been looking at it for a few days when I've been reading in the library and decided to see if I could doodle it up in SketchUp. This was the result. There's supposed to be some graphics on the side which I need to draw but for now, this'll work. There's not much about the color things are painted other than the use of a "bright red" paint.

I get a kick out of looking at the ads in those old magazines and some of the methods shown in the articles.

Gee Dave, That is not way back when...I remember it well.

Enjoy,

JimB

I've been working for a couple hours trying to do something that seems to be simple. If I don't get it tonight, you may hear from me. It is like putting a roof on a Quanset Hut where one end is larger than the other and the arcs are arcs, less than half-circles.

Come to think of it I have not seen a Quanset hut at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base since WWII. I wonder if they still use such things. They are/were buildings that are a half of a cylinder with the large flat area being the floor. The ceiling is high in the center of the building and a head-knocker if you get too close to the outside walls.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

There are Quonset huts on many farms around here. I don't know if they were put up new or bought as gov't surplus after WWII or just what but many are still in use now.

Did they film Gomer Pyle, USMC at Camp Pendleton or did they move the Quonset huts from there to a movie lot somewhere?

So does one of these things in the front look something like what you're trying to do? The one in the back has a rectangular floor and is just lower in the front than the back. The other one has a trapezoidal floor with the front arc being smaller.

More doodling tonight. I needed a detail shot of a chain I drew for a bench vise and banged this out. I'm kind of pleased with the style. I just thought I would post it.

More doodling tonight. I needed a detail shot of a chain I drew for a bench vise and banged this out. I'm kind of pleased with the style. I just thought I would post it.

That chain is amazing. I'm sure it took you, like 10 minutes? The detail and the 'drop' is just amazing.

Thanks Brent. The chain probably took a little longer than 10 minutes but it wasn't too bad as I recall. Of course it's just copies of a component. I don't remember exactly how I did the catenary. I think I figured out how many links across the top and added one or two for the bottom. That gave me the length of the curve which I drew and then placed the link components along it.