Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have written with this type of pen?

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON

How many of you have written with this type of pen?

Let's see a show of hands! I know some of you are antique enough to have written with them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	742 (Small).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	73266
    They are "Stretch" fountain pens: Gold Titanium plating on a Western Maple Burl & Black Titanium plating on a Black Cherry Burl.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

only by choice, they had invented the ball points by my time mack.. so do you still need to dip them in the ink wells like the one i used?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    only by choice, they had invented the ball points by my time mack.. so do you still need to dip them in the ink wells like the one i used?
    No dipping required. It has it's own ink cartridge, the beauty of which they are available in a myriad of different colours!
    http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/privat...nk-cartridges/
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Yep I must confess that I have an old Schaeffer snorkel fountain pen that I received from my parents while I was in high school, I still have it but I don't use it any longer,(probably wouldn't work now anyhow). It was nice pen, but I prefer a ball point , less trouble. I can't understand the fasination with fountain pens myself, but to each his or her own.

My brother who is left handed also, used a fountain pen throughout his HS years. I just got in trouble with them, the ink smeared and then when I discovered that you could "fling" ink on someone from them, well let's just say the board of education was put to use!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I still have two of them! An antique Parker in tortoiseshell, and a modern Mont Blanc. I use the Mont Blanc frequently.

In grade school - back in the stone age - we went from dip pens to Schaeffers that used plastic ink tubes. That was in thrid or fourth grade, as I recall, so around 1952 or 53, I guess.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

according to many business magazines, Fountain pens are being purchased by the board members of major businesses. it is a helluva lot cheaper to buy a pen than a Bugatti or other super car.

I use as many as I want to make!
    I do use one, but with a german nib. It's a pain to use a FP in the medical field, but at home...they are fun!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I used one when I was a teen, but by choice, they had ink catridges, but they leaked too much and I ruined a few shirts and pants, so I switched over to a parker for the next 10 years.
    Human Test Dummy

Only by choice and not frequently A fellow I know uses them pretty much exclusively, he likes to do calligraphy.. He has a Monte Blanc I tried once, it was.. touchy so it didn't work so well for me but I could see with some practice you'd get good control over the lettering.

I did try using a goose quill one year when we killed a goose for ?thanksgiving? (there was no snow so I think that must have been it) and I salvaged some wing feathers. I had no idea (zip zero) idea what i was doing and there was no internet to look it up on at the time so kind of made it up as I went along. I used some stove black and water for ink and it worked surprisingly well (after I had mangled a good dozen quills figuring out what kind of worked). Was almost as legible as my normal handwriting (which is not very legible so admittedly the bar wasn't very high ).