How many of you have written with this type of pen?

When I was a kid all of our desks had a hole in the upper right corner. The hole was just right to hold a bottle of ink.

At least they had moved on from everyone carrying a slate board to and from school :D :rofl: :poke:

The desks at the two grade schools I went to still had those holes in them (first was an old one room from at least the 20's although it might have been a little older, the desks might have been original for all I know, the second school was slightly newer but still had "nifty" old desks). It had been a while since they were used though I'm sure.. Actually I don't recall seeing any ink stains on the desks of the second school I went to so its likely they were still making them to form long past the function (don't remember on the first one, I only went there for grade 1 for crying out loud).

There was a study done in a middle school enviornment (U.K. I seem to remember) that showed that students that used "ink pens" actually had better penmanship, and made better grades than those using ball points. It seems that by the nature of the "ink pen", students slowed down a little in the writing process and actually thought more about what they were writing. I seem to remember that there was a school district that was going to make "ink pens" mandatory, at least for a few years.

Interesting news yesterday that a movement in Idaho to bring back cursive writing classes to elementary schools. It seems that with all of our computers, tablets, and smart phones, our students can no longer write. Good move in my mind.

edit: forgot to answer the question.

I have and do. I used a dip pen in grade school until I entered the seventh grade in the US (came from Canada)...and I used to have very nice penmanship. Getting a journal with the intent to use it to improve again on my penmanship and to get away from the computer screens.

Last edited: