Alternative strategy for glue squeeze out #123

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Simply remove all of the surrounding wood that may have been contaminated. I admit that Vaughns strategy of avoiding glue altogether is much less time consuming.

However this allows me to indulge my raspy voice and abrasive personality :rofl:

Starting to look like something although still plenty of chances for it to go wrong.. I'm seriously hoping that the lack of diagonal bracing is not one of the things that can go wrong at this point.. Should know that by tomorrow once this glue up dries (#4 of 7 I believe depending on how you count), it does have a little side-side wiggle clamped.. but we'll see..
IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

Another 3-4 hours of carefully removing glue residue (and some wood). Mostly sanded down to 150 on this part. Time to start making the other pieces.

IMG_1466.JPG

As I was afraid there was a little more lateral flex that I was happy with. Some glue blocks helped that more than I'd hoped. Not totally in love with that; a better solution would have been a couple of arched braces on each side, but I've have had to put those in when I glued up the stringers so (to do it properly)... I don't think it'll look too bad though.

IMG_1467.JPG

White oak, at least I thought it was all white oak, one piece of red might just possibly have slipped in :eek:

This is from my scrap stash I got from a furniture factories offcut heap so I have to sort it somewhat carefully as there is a mix of various woods that started in one big pile.