Ridgid Jointer???

Depends on the casters... Some (many, most) of them do have an annoying tendency to swivel/wiggle when you push on them even when they're "locked". I wouldn't expect that to affect the cut a whole lot but there is a safety issue, I sure wouldn't want a jointer to move when I was using it :eek:

I'd be more apt to use a flip up caster like: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&site=ROCKLER - I'm pretty sure there is also a delta version that I can't find at the moment (and probably others, I've seen folks make their own with a board that flips down on hinges). That way the jointer would be solidly on the ground when using it.

Another option would be the great lakes leveling casters: http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262 where the foot drops straight down from the attachment point. I have a set of those under a base on my bandsaw and they are rock solid once the foot is put down.

Larry's idea works quite good as well. If its to heavy for lifting the one end easily you could gin up a johnson bar (like the euro machines use) which you could make out of a 2x4 and a couple of wheels on the side with a piece of pipe for the pivot point. If you skip to 5:30 into this video you can see how a commercial version works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NdUNM5QWA Thats an ~800+ pound machine and I can move mine easily from one side of the garage to the other with that setup.

FYI: speaking of jointers and loosing all your fingers, some jointer safety tips:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/fine-woodworking-jointer-safety/

We want to keep you with all your finger nubbs fully intact :D

I have had that jointer on an HTC Universal Mobile Base for four years, with no problems of any sort. The base has fixed wheels on the outfeed end. and retractable swivel casters on the infeed side. When the casters are retracted, the infeed end rests on fixed pads.

Tony

I say that if you're getting an HTC go with the 3000, not the 2000. I have a couple of each under various things and the 2000 is a completely different design and is much less stable and sets things down with a tooth gritting thump unless whatever it is that's on it is light enough to ease it down by holding onto the unit itself. If I knew then what I know now I'd have sprung for the 3000 for the extra ~$40-50 bucks and not used any 2000's at all.

I'll probably get some eyerolls for this, but my Grizzly 6" jointer is just sitting on a Harbor Freight mover's dolly...no fancy mobile base. When I use the jointer, I put a sandbag in front of the wheels on the outfeed side to keep it from running away from me. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to joint 12' long 2x12s or anything really large or heavy, but so far that setup has worked well for me. And if sometime it does present a problem. I'll just lift the jointer off the base and set it on the floor until I'm done with it. Then it's back on the dolly.

I'll probably get some eyerolls for this, but my Grizzly 6" jointer is just sitting on a Harbor Freight mover's dolly...no fancy mobile base. When I use the jointer, I put a sandbag in front of the wheels on the outfeed side to keep it from running away from me. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to joint 12' long 2x12s or anything really large or heavy, but so far that setup has worked well for me. And if sometime it does present a problem. I'll just lift the jointer off the base and set it on the floor until I'm done with it. Then it's back on the dolly.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
There now we've gotten that out of the way we can carry on... :D

I'd still be worried about that moving when I was using it.. but I've occasionally be accused of being overly paranoid.

Thanks, some really good suggestions to consider. A couple things I did have in mind included:
  • Keeping the jointer level.
  • Raising it 4"-6" as it seems low to me.
  • Keeping it stationary when in use, with a firm base, yet allowing easy mobility if/when needed. I think I have located it such that it will remain where it is unless I need to get it out of my way.
  • Keeping my cost down to a minimum as I've shot my load for a while. Besides, I only plan on building one birdhouse for my wife. ;)
You guys have given me a good bunch of alternatives and some good advice. I've got some thinking to do. :thumb: