drawer hardware tips

larry merlau

for the pros this will be old hat , but the new ones and the rest of us out there this might just save them a gray hair:)
when i do multiple drawers and especially when they are inset fronts where they need to be in the right hole on the right drawer, i take and mark them in a area where it wont be seen but gives me a reference point to go to.. just a scratch awl and some prick points is all it takes.
d - hardware 001.jpgd - hardware 002.jpg
then we come to the hardware, in some case the handles are in several pieces so its a good to layout all the pieces for each handle to make sure you have what you need. some of the hardware have a good one side and not the other as in these handles. so i take and tape them up so as to not mar the piece while installing and during the delivery process.. note, i leave some tape away from the identifying detail of the front so i know what way is up:)
d - hardware 003.jpgd - hardware 004.jpg
then on to the back side i take and make some indented recesses, so i can apply these to the drawer boxes in this case and not have them be in the way.. also as you can see i have used a power driver to apply the same pressure while screwing them in so i dont over tighten the screws, then will go back and give them a snug up with the hand driver,, more reliable than thinking i need it just a bit tighter to find out i have crunched the face of the escutcheon .. so that is a few tips that may help some of you next time you are doing multiples of drawers or doors as well..
d - hardware 006.jpgd - hardware 007.jpg
and the final product without any mishaps:)
d - hardware-f.jpg

Just one question: Does Randi know you're using one of her quilts for a workbench pad? :D I'd get chastized severely for something like that!:rolleyes:

Great stuff Larry, Thanks. I really like the split face on the drawers and am looking forward to seeing the whole unit.

yeah jim its a practice piece that she had filled up and was gonna pitch i have gotten more use out if that she would have as quilt:)

glenn i had size restrictions on this one and so had to regroup,, and that was what i came up with, its almost ready for pics but like you i had more hiccups tryun to get this done on time and even today had some but threw a call to dave i got threw another briar patch:) the moral of this story is dont "count your money" check feel of finish untill its the next day, at the table or you will get burnt:)

Well i thank you for showing the way. I learnt a good few tricks from you today. :thumb: Funny i never saw Jims post and was thinking the same thing about the quilt. I thought "yup, cats away mice will play" wait till mom gets home. :rofl: BUt you off the hook seems to me.

well i am glad that there is a search engine here, and that it works pretty good.. i needed to go back and find this thread to reteach myself:( i saw the pics yesterday as i was working on the other two of these, i had been stopped back in april and hadnt been able to get back to them.. and now its like learning the lessons all over again i hadnt wrote them down very well, and just left myself a hint and no explanation. so went back today and got some tutoring:) i hope this isnt just me, but i feel we need to write better notes to keep us on track if we are to make another project which is the same as the one we just finished..

O.K. Larry, I'll spill you one of my secrets. I've been buying some of these for our future kitchen remodel. paid $10 each for 4- 25 piece boxes (100 total)

http://auction.repocast.com/items.c...47&location=0&minprice=&maxprice=&page=4knobs a few weeks ago.

Place is right in your neck 'o the woods so you might find something useful at these auctions. I also got drawer handles a few months ago also in the floral pattern.