Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heaters ......

Heaters ......

Ok before i go out and pull the trigger on a temp heater for my shop i thought i best seek council and advise here to make sure i aint waisting my money.

I have business needs that dictate i get some bits of plywood cut and i got to get into the garage to do it. Right now its out of the question given the cold here and the zero insulation in the part of the garage where my TS is.

I was thinking there is a unit at the HD that is around $150 works on propane with forced air like a rocket. Can hook it up to my 20lb propane bottles stand it at the small side door and aim it into the shop. Its about 40 000 BTUs and i figure that should raise the temp some in a single car garage thats got a single house size door width extra width to it.

Looked at rental but only a few uses will pay for this unit.

There is plenty ventilation since the eves are not even sealed.

Note i aint gonna run this forever its just for getting through the days i need to do something out there during this winter.

Have my old radiant tube heater but dont have the height to even jury rig it up for a temp solution even if i had it modified to use propane temp.

Dont want to run electric with the generator till the generator is enclosed.

Recognise the carbon monoxide issue but there is going to be loads of ventilation as i wont even close the door.

Anyone have any advice to offer in this department or alternatives.
    cheers

Should be fine with what sounds like adequate ventilation. I'd suggest keeping it up on a stand about 18" above the floor just in case any flammables get spilled accidentally to keep any fumes away that may settle on the floor.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've been around those things on job sites before, we called them Tiger Torches, yes they heat but man are they NOISY, drive you nuts in no time flat, I'd hate to have to work around one for any length of time unless I had to.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Rob, My first shop situation used one of those for heat, my mentor and I would stop and get a large cappuccino each, and light that sucker up... by the time we were done with the coffee, most of the frost would be off of the tools. As Stu mentions, they're extremely loud. Just my .02c but since ventilation isn't a problem I'd go with a Kerosene heater... much quieter. In fact I'm probably going to pick up a new one for my shop next week... no sense in doing so sooner, as the arctic blast is still upon us here in Syracuse right now.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Rob, My first shop situation used one of those for heat, my mentor and I would stop and get a large cappuccino each, and light that sucker up... by the time we were done with the coffee, most of the frost would be off of the tools. As Stu mentions, they're extremely loud. Just my .02c but since ventilation isn't a problem I'd go with a Kerosene heater... much quieter. In fact I'm probably going to pick up a new one for my shop next week... no sense in doing so sooner, as the arctic blast is still upon us here in Syracuse right now.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/redston...00-btu-3070559 is what I'm looking at, 23,000 BTU output (more than adequate for my space) for under $100 US.
    -Ned

My dad has one of these It works very well and if your shop is insulated, you can turn it one for a bit, warm things up and then turn it off. Also, don't statnd to close to it with a winter parka on...DAMHIKT!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

rob, i would go with what jeff suggested,, years ago, i used one for heat in the old house.. and since then have used them for spot heating and am looking to find another for the finish room after my latest escapade with to cool to dry finish proper..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

We got one of the burners like Jeff showed for our show season this coming year.... we sat on Market Square in only 40 degree temps and nearly froze from the wind, so I got a heater to keep LOML from getting so cold... but for my shop, I think I would like the Kerosene heater Ned showed... my shop is not insulated, not well sealed and in temps like today, it's as cold inside as outside... I have an electric oil radiator, but it won't heat the shop enough that I can work today. I'm just glad we rarely get really cold weather here.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    We got one of the burners like Jeff showed for our show season this coming year.... we sat on Market Square in only 40 degree temps and nearly froze from the wind, so I got a heater to keep LOML from getting so cold... but for my shop, I think I would like the Kerosene heater Ned showed... my shop is not insulated, not well sealed and in temps like today, it's as cold inside as outside... I have an electric oil radiator, but it won't heat the shop enough that I can work today. I'm just glad we rarely get really cold weather here.
    hey chuck, why would you rather have keroseen heater in shop rather than the propane one???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey chuck, why would you rather have keroseen heater in shop rather than the propane one???
    I'm thinking it would be less noisy, I've hard the propane's roar and maybe less costly as well... a 20 lbs tank of Propane runs about $15-$20 here and a gallon a kerosene is about $3.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.