kitchen work station

Frank Fusco

My daughter is moving into a new, to her, place. The kitchen is very large and she wants a rolling cutting block/work station. I would like to make it for her. Haven't started looking for plans yet but welcome suggestions of where a good one might be located.
To satisfy the lazy in me, I'm considering buying a maple workbench ready made for the top. Good/bad idea?

you said it, for the lazy in you, if you can get a used thick maple top, maybe just a quick sanding and its ready to go.

I see maple tops from workbenches and butcher block tables on craigslist, and I noticed some of the prices are just as inexpensive if I purchased the maple myself and made it.(there was a guy selling maple 1.5 inches thick from the old lanes of a bowling alley, some were maple, some were pine, and he was selling them in 10 foot sections)

have her show you some pictures of what shes looking for, what design.

Frank, I must be lazy too, because I'd be looking at pre-made tops if I was making something similar. ;) I haven't checked in a while, but there's a company called Grizzly that used to sell maple benchtops at what I considered a reasonable price, and I suspect they still do. Have you heard of Grizzly? I think you'd like the place. :rofl:

If you have an Ikea nearby, check out there wooden countertops. I found the prices pretty reasonable, and they are raw wood that you can put any finish you want on them.

I used them for my standing desk, and actually bought a couple extra for 'future' projects...

We all cant be a Levine... :rolleyes:

Why buy lumber S2S? or S4S?

Why use that fancy store bought plywood?

Why use a table saw instead of a hand saw?

Why use an electric planer instead of hand planes?

Last edited:
if you all agree premade top, why not just buy the entire unit, and you dont have build or assemble anything?

For me, the cabinet part would be the challenge and the creative part. The top would just be a big labor intensive (and boring) cutting board. I've already made lots of cutting boards, but not very many cabinets. ;)

For me, the cabinet part would be the challenge and the creative part. The top would just be a big labor intensive (and boring) cutting board. I've already made lots of cutting boards, but not very many cabinets. ;)

When I made my standing desk, that's exactly why I used a counter top from Ikea. It would have been a lot of work to make it up, and I really don't think I could have bought the lumber for the same price.

Boy, I stepped into it with that pre-made idea. :eek: Anyhow, I have decided to make the top myself. I have the wood and the tools. Why not? I'll be researching plans and designs for a while. I'll see my daughters new house on the 7th of next month and will take measurments, etc. I might make two at the same time and give one to my son. Often just as easy to make multiples as one. The top will be alternating maple and walnut.
And, Vaughn, I'll have to check out that Grizzly place. :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to stir anything, just pointing out there are always trade offs to be made with materials and methods.

Using a pre-made counter top to me would be the same as using plywood in cabinet construction.

Of course if you're going to make it out of maple and walnut, it will look much better than anything you could get premade.:thumb:

frank, a couple of things that i think you should look at,, first most tops for the island like your talking will be around 25 to 30" deep and what ever length.. last i knew you didnt have a planer that big and you dont do hand planes so your looking at a outside source for flatting the top.. get with tod and you could do the top there in his clamp rack and clean it up to plus it would give the both of you some conversation time.. good for both of you.. the cab part can be made in your shop with no problem but the top is another story:)

frank, a couple of things that i think you should look at,, first most tops for the island like your talking will be around 25 to 30" deep and what ever length.. last i knew you didnt have a planer that big and you dont do hand planes so your looking at a outside source for flatting the top.. get with tod and you could do the top there in his clamp rack and clean it up to plus it would give the both of you some conversation time.. good for both of you.. the cab part can be made in your shop with no problem but the top is another story:)

Yep. I'm sure Todd would help but I don't like to borrow or impose. I'm thinking of doing the top in two pieces that will fit through the planer then glueing them together. If that doesn't work it will be Todd time. I see him about once a month lately.

everyone has to draw a line.

I dont find jointing and planing 200 bf of cherry exceptionally exciting when Im building a kitchen or 50 bf of some other species for a cabinet or piece of furniture, but its the entire process of starting with rough lumber off a tree and turning it into a bedroom set that does it for me when it comes to woodworking.

I can see someone else who is only building one project a year, not wasting money on jointers or planers and letting the yard size his lumber for him.