Dial Drop Indicator

Al,

You'll be happy with the Harbor Freight one for anything in a woodshop. Or machine shop for that matter. You'll really be happy when you drop it and it only cost 15 bucks. :)
The Last Word that you have is well worth having fixed, but I don't think you'll really need it in a woodworking shop.

Bob

I have a Mitutoyo dial indicator and it is very nice, and was not too expensive, but I too vote for looking at the cost of fixing the one you have.

Charlie's post has a URL directly after the word "Starrets" on line one in what I am looking at. I did NOT touch it.

Enjoy,
JimB

The link after the word "Starrets" in my post is legitimate - a site I found that provides repair service and parts for dial indicators.

For those who don't want to swim that far upstream, the link was to www.longislandindicator.com

The weird link went away when I removed a FireFox plugin/extension to "coupon companion." I never wanted it, but recently found presumably reputable sites trying to offer too many add-ons when I was searching for other things, and may have let this one slip through.

The Harbor Freight dial indicator looks like the one I bought for $7 from them a few years back - it is one of the items that frequently goes on sale. The inside is very light weight plastic gears that make the indicator take 10 revolutions in the one inch travel of the probe. Works fine, but I didn't realize you could make plastic gears with teeth that small!

I only rarely use the dial indicator, but I have a good digital caliper that I use almost every day in my shop. I also have a cheap digital caliper that isn't the joy to use like the good one. My cheaper one also has fractional read out which I did not like as much as I expected I would. Measuring 51/64 when you are looking for 3/4 doesn't help me as quickly as 0.797 or 0.80.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided to order the replacement bezel & crystal for my Last Word indicator. If I should happen to run across a super sale on a 1"/0.001" drop indicator I may just pick it up only because I can't pass up a good deal that relates to my activities. ;)