Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: attic office built in

attic office built in

finally finished painting the office, ripping carpet, taking down old paper.
    Had my son here saturday afternoon, laid the laminate flooring(not laminate, its that allure stuff from home depot, easy enough, does the trick)
    Put up most of the moldings, still need to put final coat and fill in nail heads, etc.......
    but with temps up at 50 today, and 47 yesterday, its shop time.
    Im timing myself with this build. Not rushing, but not looking to spend much time or money on this, since I never know how long Ill be in this house anymore and I cant take this with me.
    Its going into the knee wall(learn a new word here everyday, I used to call it the bottom of the slanty wall in the attic)
    7 leisurely hours total so far yesterday and today, heres where Im at.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1298.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	73452
    (face frame isnt cleaned yet or sanded, just held up there to make sure I measured right)
    this isnt being made for clothes, its being used for an office, so only 2 pullout drawers on left, to hold pendaflex files. What we really needed is just cabinets with shelf space to store a bunch of nonsense stuff.
    All important papers go into a fireproof container, this is to hold ink catridges, current bills, alot of my leftover paperwork Im keeping handy from my old business, office supplies, computer supplies, just so it doesnt have to lay all over the place.
    If I feel ambitious, I might make a simple cherry plywood desk to match the cabinet face frame.

simple stuff, 4 doors with cherry plywood panels(I have enough left over from kitchen to make these doors and I dont want to waste cherry lumber)
    the top shelf is only 8 inches deep to fit in, I built it seperately and will attach it.(the face frame covers up the two plywoods)
    The center on the top will remain open so I can stick a few photo frames in there, and the two sides will have doors to hide our junk.
    like I said, nothing exciting, but I wanted to redo my office, so now its a good time.

Its been ok though, working in office and garage during the day, and turning pens at night.

I turned 2 funny looking slimlines last night, one pencil broke on me. One pen was gone this morning, wife must have taken it for someone at work.
    Im tired of turning slimlines.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1301.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	73453
    Human Test Dummy

Looks like a nice little built in. Should work great. Seems like folks are on a cherry kick around here lately.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks great Allen. I don't remember, do you just pocket screw your face frames?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

that will work allen
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Looks great Allen. I don't remember, do you just pocket screw your face frames?

yep, pocket screws, assembly and attaching to box.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Looks like a nice little built in. Should work great. Seems like folks are on a cherry kick around here lately.
    I have a nice supply of 3 hardwoods I could have used. cherry, ash, or walnut.

since walnut would cost me most to replace, I decided against that. Ash seems to keep going up in price, and the ash I have is so clear and beautiful, I figured Im never getting close to paying 2 bucks a bf again.

cherry is available around here, and I can purchase it privately from guys who cut and dry their own at very reasonable prices, so its easiest to replace.(plus I have enough cherry 1/4 inch ply to make the doors)
    Although cherry is more expensive than ash, it was the plywood that swung my decision.
    I believe I have enough handles left over from my sons kitchen for the doors, if not, they were HD hardware.

the worst part about building a cabinet this size, is that I cant carry it upstairs to make sure it fits perfectly. I left 1/4 inch on each side and close to half inch on top.
    Its tough when I build big boxes and cant lift them or move them myself for whatever reason. Waiting for help to move the thing a foot can be a real pain.
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-29-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    the worst part about building a cabinet this size, is that I cant carry it upstairs to make sure it fits perfectly. I left 1/4 inch on each side and close to half inch on top.
    I hear you on that. The alcove my entertainment center is going in is definitely not square. The cabinet I put in there I left about 1/8" on each side at the bottom. Up at the top its more like 3/8". Sure the trim will cover it, but still...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looking good so far, Allen. I really like the colors in that pen, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

allen you should make sure you can get the box up there threw the stairs the size can fool you sometimes and your mind say 32" no problem but the length and the width can get you on a turn ...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    allen you should make sure you can get the box up there threw the stairs the size can fool you sometimes and your mind say 32" no problem but the length and the width can get you on a turn ...
    I checked already, having had that problem once before.

Its only 15.5 inches deep,and 60 inches in length. Standing it on its side its easy enough for two healthy people to get it up the stairs. (My son and once of his friends wont have a problem)
    Human Test Dummy