attic office built in

without the outer faceframe to box it in, Im in less than 30 hours total with finishing and installation.

I lucked out this afternoon. My son arrived around 1:30, and I realized no way we were going to lift this, at least not me.
15 minutes later, my 2 nephews arrived, an unexpected visit(one of them is in from florida), so 3 strong healthy young men had some rough time getting the unit up the turn on the attic stairs.
I measured it with a cardboard dummy, especially after larry mentioned it, I did it again, but the box proved 10 times tougher than cardboard. It cleared the turn by less than a 1/4 inch.
3 strong kids had to lift it and they struggled, no way I was ever getting that up the stairs without them.

I had to trim off less than a 1/16 on the top beams, to get it to fit, I knew I was close, but didnt want to make it any shorter(I should have made it 1/8 shorter, stupid planning)
It only took a few minutes to trim down the spot.
otherwise, it fit exactly as planned. Always a scary moment for me when I build something to fit into a specific space and I know I measured 8 times but not being able to fit it as I go along, dont like it.

The few little dings the door or cabinet got, I didnt go nuts trying to correct. Theres come a point when trying to correct a ding only makes things worse.

Im glad I didnt try anything like I originally planned, like inserting a metal rod to make a pendaflex draw. Bought a cheap frame and just secured it into the drawers. Simple and easy.
Why overcomplicate something.

I had it wrapped with insulation, the top and alot of the bottom got ripped off, Im not concerned with mold, never had it in any of the built in shelves anywhere inthe attic rooms.
some pics, yes, I know I brad nailed one of the pullouts on the front side instead of the sides, my brain isnt what it used to be, and I forgot to clean the steel wood dust off 2 doors after I rubbed it down.

to larry-when you mentioned to make sure I can fit it up the stairs, you made me nervous, so instead of the two cardboard pieces I held together, I made a cardboard dummy with duct tape, and made sure full size I can squeeze it up the stairs. I did.
for a moment today, I thought we couldnt get it through the turn, we almost gave up, but when we flipped the unit, it cleared by 1/4 inch. Your voice was ringing in my head, man o man was I glad it fit. I was already embarrassed youd be scolding me for not making sure the first thing I should have thought about.

Attachments

• 100_1316.jpg
    100_1316.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_1318.jpg
    100_1318.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_1320.jpg
    100_1320.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1321.jpg
    100_1321.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 34
well i am glad tht i can i told you so and that you listened and didnt get burnt, i built a ice shanty one time in my garge and when it came time to get it out i had to dig the floor our and then lean it over.. fortunatly at that time i had dirt floors:) i learned the lesson and i also had times sence that i had made one more measurment to check.. what appears fine sometimes isnt..

so what did you use on that cherry to get it so nice and red? well done allen!!

Oh man you doing good. Thats fantastic you sure come a long way.
I bet your shares with missus must be sky high after that build.
Man you an inspiration. I too would not worry at this stage about any dings. Heck only person that probably knows where there are any is you.
What a great use of space. I presume you gonna trim it out?
Mazel tov Allen.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Its nothing special larry.(btw, thats all michigan cherry)
Minwax oil based stain, cherry.
I used clear gloss poly, brushed on first coat, sanded down with 320, then rubbed on a coat, rubbed it over good with 0000 steel wool to bring down the sheen.
My wife prefers a strong sheen, but I think a little less looks better. I had a new can of poly so I didnt want to purchase any satin.
When I begin the attic bedroom, thats around 13 linear feet of built ins and panels, I think Im going to darken the stain a bit.
Ill make the frame to trim it out tomorrow, figuring Ill have it stained and polyed by early next week.

big time saver using cherry ply for the door panels. Most of the work making doors is milling up lumber, glueing up panels, then sanding and raising them.

its things like this its hard to repair once the piece is all glued up and finished applied.

I had one door panel that got a nice deep gouge and tried sanding it lightly, not wanting to ruin the veneer finish.

I decided either I make a new door, or just live with it, there was only so much I could do.

It would be interesting to have pros here discuss what determines if they feel they need to redo something or just try a repair, how much their tolerances are.

Attachments

• 100_1324.jpg
    100_1324.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 31
I think this is where we woodworkers get too picky. With all the grain activity going on in that area i had to really look hard to find what you were referring to in the photo. I would like to see what happens if you take 10 people that are not woodworkers but like wooden furniture and a wood look finish to review a piece like this and see how many out of the 10 see a fault like that.
This goes for things like tiling, painting, trim etc. Just my opinion:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Live with Allen, it not a large, obvious flaw, except to you:p a doubt any one would notice unless you should it to them. The build in looks great by the way:)

Frame is milled and assembled. 4 pieces of cherry, pocket screws, Ill let it dry for today then sand it tomorrow and start applying stain.

this project with all the room painting and moldings were scheduled to last me till mid april.

Now Im either going to clean out the shop for a next 2 weeks, or start 4-6 adirondack chairs. Not sure exactly what I want to tackle during the cold months.

Im still waiting on my son to finish sheetrocking so we can finish the tiling on his kitchen and get that project out of the books.

Attachments

• 100_1325.jpg
    100_1325.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 31
WOW - nice piece!

One of the most gratifying aspects of belonging to this forum is watching new people come on board and then seeing them expand their knowledge and improve on their work with every new project they take on. Allen, in this regard, you serve as the poster boy for this site. The quality, and quantity, of work you push out of your garage is quite inspiring.

Last edited:
I would leave that flaw alone Allen.

I really don't know what you were thinking that this project would take you until mid April.:huh: I would get the shop cleaned and organized so you have a pleasant experience knocking out those chairs.

I really don't know what you were thinking that this project would take you until mid April.:huh: I would get the shop cleaned and organized so you have a pleasant experience knocking out those chairs.

Its hard to calculate shop time, how Im feeling, other little projects that pop up, etc.
I was not in a rush, but the total lack of anything else to do helped me finish right up.
I need to rip paper borders, rip up carpet, paint, molding all in the attic bedroom, but I cant begin that room until june once my daughter moves back to my sons home so we have her bedroom to move into. (noone wants to move back into the finish rooom(the other bedroom) and my office is too small to fit our bed since we converted half of it into a walk in closet.

Im free until june. no large projects. nothing but clean up, some chairs, 2 cutting boards(for a wedding in buffalo in june)

I think Im finally going to toss my garage drawer cabinet unit, its uneven, and I used horrible underweight slides. I think Im going to put together another assembly table, to double as an outfeed table for the TS, and some new Tom Clark shop cabinets with smaller drawers to hold more parts and hand tools. Put up more simple shelves to house all my handheld power tools.
Not sure of the weather yet, so I might wait a few more weeks for warmer temps.

Rennie-I dont have much of a life these days other than some weekend family events.
I have nothing but free time. lots of it. Im feeling much better these days and are more productive. The usual aches and pains, but they dont hold me back.
I think this cabinet with ply doors could have been knocked out in one 12 hour day by a healthy woodworker. Another day or 2 to stain, and a day to spray.

also rennie, being a member here saves me alot of time. Im not shy about contacting people with questions. and when I make embarrassing or stupid mistakes, theres a few here that are gracious enough to contact me by phone or email to walk me through it. This is a woodworking forum, and it works for me whenever I need help.

Last edited:

I tell myself this everytime I start something new...wish I listened to myself :huh:

Looks great Allen! :thumb:

allen did you seal that cabinet before staining it? because stain job looks great on that curly cherry..you said you just stained it, and that you stopped sanding at 150 grit correct?