TV Stand

After having 'Sir Sketch-Up Dave' straighten me out on how to draw dado's, and a taste of his vision on my design...here's where I am....

Dave's play on my drawing{his color/wood selection was a hit with wifey}...> Daves Play.jpg

This is only the first coat of a Blo/MS/Poly mix, the Mrs is happy so....success :D
Pic001.jpg Pic002.jpg
Pic003.jpg Pic004.jpg

HomeDepot birch ply & Larry's chocolate...had to use an appropriate container for the finish...:D
FinishMixture.jpg

I love that unit. thinking outside the box a little, excellent, that is a winner sir!!!!!!!

so is the angle on the dados for the middle shelf cut at the same degree as the bottom dados?

most of all, thanks for sharing such an interesting unit.

Last edited:
I ask because when I built a hall table for my wife a couple of years ago, I was too intimidated to make legs slanted in with a bottom shelf, figuring I would mess it up bigtime.
Im still intimidated, but dont worry about it much anymore, afterall, its only plywood.
Your tv stand could easily double as a very modern hall table if you stop using it for the tv.

so what formula did you use to know where to cut the dados on the top shelf, the location of them to make an exact fit?(im going to get out some old plywood and play around with it to see if I can get it to fit after you tell me)

I ask because when I built a hall table for my wife a couple of years ago, I was too intimidated to make legs slanted in with a bottom shelf, figuring I would mess it up bigtime.
Im still intimidated, but dont worry about it much anymore, afterall, its only plywood.
Your tv stand could easily double as a very modern hall table if you stop using it for the tv.

so what formula did you use to know where to cut the dados on the top shelf, the location of them to make an exact fit?(im going to get out some old plywood and play around with it to see if I can get it to fit after you tell me)

It's a rare form of calculus called nocluenoobculus ...as pretty much a woodworking noob, I actually have no clue as to a formula :eek:. I drew it to what looked good to my eye. I used sketch-Up and drew a guide line at the desired angle and placed it at 16" from the outside bottom edge of the ply and 7 1/2" from the top outside...The dimensions came from not wanting to leave too much of a free over-hang on the top piece, to hopefully prevent any drooping/sagging. From there I just used my protractor to grab the angle and transferred to the dado blades...Hope that helps somewhat, I'm like that blind squirrel who finds the rare nut:rofl:

I can also relate to the intimidation aspect, drawing it out was easy compared to running that first dado :eek::chair: :crossed:

Thanks Tom & Vaughn, it's a good feeling! :D

By the way, as proof to my noobishness...here's a shot of my protractor, not even sure if I read it correctly, but it got me where I wanted to go :eek:
View attachment 73484

thats pretty much how Ive done the one or two angled dados. I draw it out on a piece of mdf, full size, then use my protractor,(harbor freight), looks just like yours, and measure it.

I thought maybe you had some formula that figures it out for you, well, sort of hoping you did.

Nice work, Ken. It has turned out great.

I'm glad I could help.

As to getting the angles from the SketchUp model, you could measure and set a protractor to that angle or you could actually draw that angle and print it off. Then use a sliding bevel gauge to pick up the angle.