Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some ideas.....

Looking for some ideas.....

A good friend of mine Don, who used to live here in Japan and his wife Miyoko and family moved back to the US a few years ago. His wife is Japanese, he father lived here until he passed away a few years ago. Miyoko is now in the process of clearing up her father's estate, this involves selling some property. One thing that is to be sold is the family home. It is a very old Japanese style home, with lots of wood, in fact it is a beautiful old house, but, it is in poor condition, and it will be torn down. There is some beautiful wood in the home, but I'm not sure I could make proper lumber out of much of it, a lot of the main beams etc are huge, but as they were placed green and then let dry over the many years most of these are full of cracks, this is very common in timber frame construction. Miyoko has asked me to take some of the wood and build something as a reminder of the family home. I'm kind of stumped as to what to make, so I'm looking for ideas. Two that I've come up with are picture frames and some small boxes of some sort. The other thing is that I can't really make large items, as they will have to be shipped to the USA from Japan.

I'm hoping to go out to the site soon and have a look at what is there, when the house is demolished I'll get the crew to put aside the wood I select and I'll go and pick it up later.

OK if you have some ideas, I'm all ears

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Stu how about some of them small plates you make before? coasters,Any way you can get a piece of them beams big enough to do a tea set?

Do they play chess
    Faith, Hope & Charity

i agree with something that they would use frequently or at least on special occasions stu,,so they can have the feeling of the old family with them. i was thinking of a small wall cabinet but if shipping is high then that is probably out, was thinking of one to hold some of the family keepsakes..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Re: Looking for some ideas.....

A small shadowbox maybe with a pic of the old house. Would shipping be any better if you can ship knocked down RTA?

I know that you are NOT into pen making but a nice pen/pencil set with a classy box would be nice -- Maybe laser embossed with family/house history.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Depending on what you find and can salvage....tea boxes, platters, plates, small lamps, snackpins, toothpick holders, bird house ornaments, napkin holders, rolling pins, cutting boards, salt and pepper grinders, small hand mirrors, shadow boxes, pens and pencils, jewelry pendants....just off the top of my head.

A small box containing a familiar and visibly obvious piece of the house like a key escutcheon , door handle, father's desk drawer pull, etc.? My western suggestions of items are probably not exactly usable but, may give an idea. If he wore glasses, a small case for them could become a family treasure.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I like those Glenn.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Add another vote on the picture frame{s}, sure they have some precious photo's that would complete the memento.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else