Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One-Day Build - Drill Press Table

One-Day Build - Drill Press Table

I'm still working on that batch or urns, but it's not just building them that is taking my time. As I approach each step I ask myself, "Self (that's what I call myself), if you had to build fifty of these one day, what jig, accessory, procedure, would you use to make the process faster and more consistent?" Well, I stalled last week faced with drilling a lot more holes. I reflected on the previous weeks drilling and punching of square holes, and decided that a few makeshift stops and clamps were not the best choice on the drill press.

I've always liked the price on the Woodpecker table. It seemed to offer a lot more than some others for about the same price. In addition, if you purchased all the accessories separately, it's hard to build it for much less. So, off to Woodcraft to spend some money!

The table, as manufactured, will not fit my drill press, you need an adapter plate (3/4" plywood). Remembering some more elaborate tables I've seen here, I decided I could always used more drawer space. This is the result of about 8 hours work - yes, I'm a bit slow. Nice thing about it is that it is made entirely of scrap bits I had lying around. Total cost (excluding the table) $2.30 for some tapered hex head bolts.

(I HAD to make this shop project look better than the last one so's not to be stung by Vaughn's review again. )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	73533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	73534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0753.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	73535
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

can you make me one also? looks perfect for my needs.....2.30????????????? what about all those T channels and knobs?
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    can you make me one also? looks perfect for my needs.....2.30????????????? what about all those T channels and knobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Nice thing about it is that it is made entirely of scrap bits I had lying around. Total cost (excluding the table) $2.30 for some tapered hex head bolts.
    The table, with all the accessories, was $135.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, that looks nice. I've had my eye on a woodpecker table for awhile now too. What's the top made from? What DP do you have? I have a delta 17-950L. I really like the drawers to keep the various DP sundries.

Very nice. Those drawers really add to it.

Off to place an order...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've had the old style Woodpecker table for years and its been great. Those drawer add-ons are sweet.

As I approach each step I ask myself, "Self (that's what I call myself), if you had to build fifty of these one day, what jig, accessory, procedure, would you use to make the process faster and more consistent?"
    Some project or part of a project just has to wait sometimes while you build a jig that will help you ever after. That's how my collection started, you do something for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time and you stop and say "now hold on a a minute . . . " and a jig or fixture is born.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

One-Day Build - Drill Press Table

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Rennie, that looks nice. I've had my eye on a woodpecker table for awhile now too. What's the top made from? What DP do you have? I have a delta 17-950L. I really like the drawers to keep the various DP sundries.
    The top is made from 1 inch thick MDF. It has the microdot laminate on top and bottom. I have the Rikon drillpress. The only thing I need now is a smaller chuck. The Rikon Chuck will not hold anything smaller than 1/4 inch.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    The top is made from 1 inch thick MDF. It has the microdot laminate on top and bottom. I have the Rikon drillpress. The only thing I need now is a smaller chuck. The Rikon Chuck will not hold anything smaller than 1/4 inch.
    I've been running one of these or something like it for years. Grizzly and others also offer a selection from inexpensive through . . . WOW!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I've been running one of these or something like it for years. Grizzly and others also offer a selection from inexpensive through . . . WOW!
    I like that. I'll have to see if it will fit my machine.

www.wrworkshop.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Sweet! & the drawers top it off very nicely...well done
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else