TS3650 - 6" or 8" Stacked Dado Set?

David Agnew

Hi all. I'm asking for advice again. :eek:

I have a Ridgid TS3650 1.5hp contractor saw.

Lowes is clearing out their CMT 8" 12-tooth dado sets for $54. It's a special Lowes part number w/ a slightly thinner plate than CMT's standard tool.

Is the 3650 big enough to spin it satisfactorily?

I've never used a dado set before, so this would be a new thing for me. I'm willing to buy a cheap tool to see if I need/like/want a good one. The tool itself has mid-level reviews - it's normally a $100 set. People complain about QC on the chippers... some folks have gotten a single chipper that's slightly taller and will groove the bottom.

Otherwise, I'll spend more on a Freud set....
6"x12, $85
8"x12, $100
6"x24, $185
8"x24, $200

Thanks!

I've heard it both ways...you need a big HP TS to use a 8" dado, but I've also heard that dados usually aren't that deep so HP shouldn't really matter. Did that help? :huh:

Edit: For what it's worth I know for a fact that 2 of the Woodsmith/Shopnotes editors use one of these in their own shops. I plan on getting one next month (birthday gift for myself)

Last edited:
Turns out I have both the CMT 8" set and the Freud 6" set. The Freud set I have has an anti-self-feed design. I got it for the radial arm saw. I really like the cut of that set. I have had the CMT set for some years. Finally had to send it out for sharpening. Cost more than the $54 you could pay for a new set. I have used it only in the table saw which is a cabinet saw much more powerful and larger that your saw. I'd check to see if there is room to swing an 8" dado set in your saw. The diameter is not the thing, but the width is. That might sway your decision. Personally, in your set-up, Id go with the 6" Freud.

I used an 8" dado set on 1.5 p saws for about thirty years, and never had a problem - so long as the dado set was sharp. I often made ¾" dados, ¾" deep, in maple or oak.

Your saw should have no problem.

I'm not familiar with the dado set you mention, but you do usually get what you pay for, and cheap saw blades usually mean cheap manufacture - bad welds, brittle carbide, blade runout, or the odd-sized chipper you mentioned. You can't go wrong with Freud, Forrest, CMT, or one of the higher end sets. I currently am using a Freud set, and have been pretty happy with it. YMMV

Get the 8" dado set. You'll be much happier with it. I also have the Ridgid TS3650 and you won't have one problem using it on that saw.

Thank you all for the input. I'll pull the trigger on this CMT 8" set.

Carol - Yes, plenty of room. Research indicates only the dial-a-dado style blades are too wide.

Jim - I agree with you. Set is normally $99. It's on closeout. We'll see. :dunno:

Thanks for the 3650 specific notes, Alan and Allen.

Jim - I agree with you. Set is normally $99. It's on closeout. We'll see. :dunno:

I have the Freud SD-508 and the 8" CMT set you speak of (bought it on clearance at Lowe's and wish I would have bought two for the price). The stuff I make requires deep cuts so the 8" was a depth decision for me. the 24T outer plates make cleaner cuts in ply but, at least while still new the CMT has done a nice job on some walnut I have been dadoing.

P.s. You don't happen to have the SKU for that CMT 8" set do you?

I have the Freud SD-508 and the 8" CMT set you speak of (bought it on clearance at Lowe's and wish I would have bought two for the price). The stuff I make requires deep cuts so the 8" was a depth decision for me. the 24T outer plates make cleaner cuts in ply but, at least while still new the CMT has done a nice job on some walnut I have been dadoing.

P.s. You don't happen to have the SKU for that CMT 8" set do you?

Well, it's never easy. Apparently they don't ship it. You have to have a local store that has it and pick it up there. So I'm going to have to call around the country to see if someone specially ship it to me. The closest store I found has it for $68. I dunno where that $54 price came from.

The only reason I'm even looking at this is because I have a $100 Lowes gift card. Otherwise I'd spend cold hard cash on something else. But $54 is hard to pass up.

Search for P08012. Apparently it's a special SKU for Lowes.

Well, that was an adventure. After much zip-code-punching, I couldn't find any store that had it in stock other than one in Chicago. So 22 minutes, conversations with hardware, a manager, and shipping, taxes and shipping fees, $80 later, it should be on a UPS truck my way.

$80 isn't $54, but I feel it's still a good price for a good product.

To be continued...

You shouldn't have any trouble spinning an 8" set with your saw. I used a Freud SD208 that's very similar to your CMT set on my little Delta 36-600 compact saw with a universal motor....no issues.