liberty tourch

i know i havn't posted much lately,but i've been working my butt off lately. This is something a bit different than i've ever done. i wanted to push my self into a different direction and see if i could do it.I know it woun't be to every ones liking,but that is to be expected. Any way it's oak burl,maple, and the maple is dyed using printers ink. O it's 10x11 tall. Thanks as always and all C&C welcome as always.
Steve009 (800x730).jpg

Wow! for an old carpenter, you get around!! I'm not crazy about the base color...it keeps drawing my eye away from the whole picture. Everything else rocks!! Maybe some tuning on the "quarter moons" framing the torch, but that's just me and I suck at this stuff!!! Well done bud!!

Wow that's a cool eye twister. Did you turn it all in one piece or was it glued up after.

Do you have any pictures from other angles? I'm having some trouble visualizing the whole piece..

OK, who are you and what have you done with Steve? :D No way that ol' wood butcher turned this piece! :rofl:

I really like this one, man. :thumb: All the forms work well together, IMO. I kinda agree with Jim that the base might look better with a less prominent color, but I suspect the photo may make it stand out more than it does in person. All in all, awesome job, Steve. Good to see you stepping outside the box a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha i left the ol' wood butcher at work on this one.:)Ryan no i didn't turn this in one piece, i can only dream about being that good.As far as the color on the base.The flame and base are the same color, but from the pics you can't tell that for some reason.To me the reason i did the base in red was to repesent the blood lost by soldiers, all over the world that have spilled there blood in the persuite of liberty.

Attachments

• 003 (733x800).jpg
    003 (733x800).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Steve, I like this alot...very well done! At first I thought black for the base would have looked better, but your explanation changed my mind. :thumb:

looks great steve, and at first i was also in the no color on the base camp but the defination made it right.. so this is just deco piece has no utilty use..? perhaps there could be some engraving in the base to help others get the picture?

Cool, thanks for the other picture, yeah that would be pretty unpossible to turn in one pass :D. Definitely an interesting convergence of forms.

For some reason I was seeing part of the white background as being another layer in the piece on the first one. Its very obviously not now that I look at it again (I'll blame the laptop screen :rolleyes:).